Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: what gun do you use??

Borderline Spammer

User Info Menu

The Traditions was okay but I found the T/C encore to be of higher quality nice factory sights and I like the idea of additional barrels to switch to a rifle.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

Thanks for the input. I had a couple rossi combo set (poor mans TC) and it is great to be able to swap out barrels and have a different gun. I just gave a muzzle loader/270 combo to my brother in law and I have a slug gun/.17 call combo which is one of the guns I will be trading. I am looking closer at the TC,s. They seem to have a really good reputation.

Borderline Spammer

User Info Menu

I use blackhorn 209 powder in my t/c encore the combination is the next best thing to a smokeless powder savage.
    Last edited by trkyhntr21; November 8th, 2015 at 01:34 PM.

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

really like the look of that bone collector model. Im just not sure I could justify the cost other than I really really like it ...lol

Leads by example

User Info Menu

In my Encore, I use two Triple 7 Pellets, a triple 7 primer and a Yellow Superglide 250gr Shockwave.
    no complaints!!!

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by trkyhntr21 View Post
    I use blackhorn 209 powder in my t/c encore the combination is the next best thing to a smokeless powder savage.
    Blackhorn is really good but I do not see any difference in accuracy while I'm using 777.

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

I wanted to give it a try but cant buy it locally. Not too concerned though since im having great success with pellets.It might be nice to be able to fine tune the charge though.

Has all the answers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by isartw View Post
    Blackhorn is really good but I do not see any difference in accuracy while I'm using 777.
    I believe the majority of current production in-line MLs (regardless of firearm brand) are more than accurate for hunting purposes - as long as one has determined the proper powder/load combo.

BH209 offers an advantage in the sense that A) swabbing between shots won't be a necessity and B) ML barrel could be easily cleaned using old based solvents (example - Hoppes).

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sharps4570 View Post
    I believe the majority of current production in-line MLs (regardless of firearm brand) are more than accurate for hunting purposes - as long as one has determined the proper powder/load combo.

BH209 offers an advantage in the sense that A) swabbing between shots won't be a necessity and B) ML barrel could be easily cleaned using old based solvents (example - Hoppes).
    Well, that is the problem. You are absolutelly right about powder/load. I would say primer make difference. But as for swabbing, cleaning, not cleaning options, I have found that running one/two dry patches makes significant difference. Dirty barrel gives bad groups even with Powerbelt, which are advertised as ditry barrel friendly. Also, cleaning with solvent takes time from the one hand. From the other hand, you have to dry barrel before shooting, otherwise powder gets slightly wet and that also affect results.

As for out of range cleaning, I like Hoppes as general purpose solvent, especially when clean my SKS after corrosive rounds shooting, but I've found that T/C #13 works better as bore cleaner. I just spray it inside bore and wait 15-20 min, then run brush one or two times, then two dry patches to make sure second goes clean and then oiled patch with remington oil.
    Last edited by isartw; November 8th, 2015 at 09:42 PM.

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bcxextreme View Post
    The Knights are beautles. Where did you purchase it.?
    I purchased my vision at ellwood Epps about 5 years ago and the double barrel is a custom built by a friend of mine. He builds lots of singles and has built a few sidexside, but only built one over under. Builds them with break action shot guns using tc break plugs for convienence. Side by sides had dual sights and the over under was split and rewelded parallel so one sight could be used.