Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My new smoke pole!!!

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dutchhunter View Post
    Are guns rated for magnum loads not 150 g loads or three pellets Dutch
    Dunno..but my guess would be that the gun specs would dictate the max loads/pressures....the Remington Ultimate is rated for x4 pellets...

but as it stands Hodgdon still says the max for T7 is 120 grs...two 60gr magnum pellets are safe.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MikePal View Post
    I only mention it because I have a scar above my right eye because of a Rifle scope on my ML...the shot required I twist for the shot and I got bit....look for the longer eye relief since ..Haha
    Ouch not good.Hopefully I will not run into that scenario...God knows I got enough scars.

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MikePal View Post
    Dunno..but my guess would be that the gun specs would dictate the max loads/pressures....the Remington Ultimate is rated for x4 pellets...

but as it stands Hodgdon still says the max for T7 is 120 grs...two 60gr magnum pellets are safe.
    This gun says its max is 150 gr. They do not mention what bullet weight should be used for a magnum load. I would have thought that the weight of the bullet would play a part in the overall pressure but maybe its insignificant.I may try 150gr but 90% of the time I would never need it.

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Congrats. Those accura ml are very very nice. Best of luck during ml season....

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

Nice gun! Hope to see it in a pic next to deer later this season!

My recommendation would be to just stick with two T7 pellets. No sense beating yourself up for nothing. Most reports I've heard when guys step up to 150 grains is that recoil increases, velocity and energy increases... accuracy goes out the window.

To touch on what Dutch and Mike were saying... I believe (although I may be wrong) that 150 grains of T7 does not equal 150 grains of pyrodex in loose powder form. T7 is apparently about 15% more potent. So, 85 grains of T7 would equal about 100 grains of pyrodex. If you were to load up 150 grains of T7 you would be outside of the recommended specs. Note that this is in loose powder form only, the pellets are supposed to be the same as pyrodex. From that information, 3 x 50 grain pellets of T7 would be OK, 150 grains of loose T7 would not. This is just what I've read around the internet on other hunting forums, not hard fact, so take it with a grain of salt.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by GW11 View Post
    My recommendation would be to just stick with two T7 pellets. No sense beating yourself up for nothing. Most reports I've heard when guys step up to 150 grains is that recoil increases, velocity and energy increases... accuracy goes out the window.
    Just recently read an article where a guy proved out that the majority of the powder in the 3rd pellet just gets blown out of the barrel unburnt...wasted powder/money.

Yes, accuracy flounders with these ML once your powder passes 100 grs....I did some trials last fall to confirm my loads and found that at 120 grs the bullet can't be grouped at 100 yds, ended up laddering back down to 80grs to get the tightest groupings.
    Last edited by MikePal; November 19th, 2015 at 05:54 AM.

Borderline Spammer

User Info Menu

I shoot 50 grain pellets with Powerbelts, it is a tack driver with 2 pellets but you get tumblers when you move up to 150 grains. Something I did notice on paper, even at 30-50 yards. will never do more then 2 pellets in any hunting situation now.
    John

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

My manual does say that if using a magnum load to go with pellets because a powder charge is likely to be partially wasted.I hadnt really even considered the recoil aspect. I have bad shoulders so re thinking I may not bother.I dont have any trouble managing the recoil at 100gr but 150 is a big step up. Not sure why I didnt think of that sooner...doh!!

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by GW11 View Post
    Nice gun! Hope to see it in a pic next to deer later this season!

To touch on what Dutch and Mike were saying... I believe (although I may be wrong) that 150 grains of T7 does not equal 150 grains of pyrodex in loose powder form. T7 is apparently about 15% more potent. So, 85 grains of T7 would equal about 100 grains of pyrodex. If you were to load up 150 grains of T7 you would be outside of the recommended specs. Note that this is in loose powder form only, the pellets are supposed to be the same as pyrodex. From that information, 3 x 50 grain pellets of T7 would be OK, 150 grains of loose T7 would not. This is just what I've read around the internet on other hunting forums, not hard fact, so take it with a grain of salt.
    I have another property that I can hunt.I havent used it for a cple yrs so as far as I know there havent been any deer taken there for a while, and there are lots of em around.Its a of a spot to get into and thats why I stopped going there. I am planning to go there for the ML hunt since our group already took 3 deer of our main property this yr. There is a good chance that there is a nice buck roaming around there.

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

Well done!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast