Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: BH 209 ..Holy Crap!!!

Apprentice

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by standup View Post
    What bullet sabot combo were you using?

Hornady SST 250 Grain with sabot sleeve. Get 1 inch groupings at 100 yards with these.

Sharps4570, thanks and I am glad it worked for you. Maybe I got a bad bottle/batch of BH209. Can't figure out what is wrong other than this. My "buck" delayed ignition shot happened in a perfectly clean, dry and prepped ML breech plug.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bcxextreme View Post
    I had just picked up some remington sts primers which are actual shot shell primers.If they dont work I will track down one of the suggested brands.
    I use those primers most of the time. Those ones are weaker than regular shotshell primers. They seems to be good for T7 but I've found Wincherster or CCI give better results with BH 209. I use BH breech plug for my CVA for BH 209 powder.

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ahuntr300 View Post
    Hornady SST 250 Grain with sabot sleeve. Get 1 inch groupings at 100 yards with these.
    That is my favourite too.

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

So at the risk of sounding obtuse just who is having BH probs? I'm assuming NOT the guy w/ 1" groups
    I LOVE COMING HERE. WHAT OTHER GUN/OUTDOOR FORUM CAN YOU BE GUARANTEED GRAMMAR LESSONS ?

Has all the answers

User Info Menu

LOL! standup, go easy! Presently, BH209 may offer offer some advantages over other substitute types. But then again, nothing is perfect! Tomorrow, someone else will offer another propellant maybe in a pellet version with similar or better properties and BH209 will be quickly be forgotten.

Apprentice

User Info Menu

So at the risk of sounding obtuse just who is having BH probs? I'm assuming NOT the guy w/ 1" groups
    Thanks stand up; I guess I had that coming LOL.

I do get 1" groups with my ML, Hornady SST 250s, 2 pellets of triple 7 and Winchester primers - not with BH209 (when I got it to light that is LOL)

I too was surprised how accurate my ML is with this combo - guess I got a good one.

Still very accurate with the BH209 but not as, as for the same grains in propellant (100 gns) the BH209 produces quite a bit higher velocity.

My only problem with BH209 as I said before is consistency and reliability it will fire when you pull the trigger. Love it for how clean it burns but if I cant get it to ignite every time, its useless to me. For those of you that it works for you, that is great - enjoy!!

Cheers.
    Last edited by Ahuntr300; December 2nd, 2015 at 07:09 PM.

Just starting out

User Info Menu

So does anyone know why the hang fires occur??

BH209 is great because its clean.
    T7 is great because is easy.

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

If you swab, or brush your gun you should snap a primer before loading to clear flash hole. Also BH seems to do best when it's working. Although I have shot 250's I find it likes to push that 300 gr slug
    I LOVE COMING HERE. WHAT OTHER GUN/OUTDOOR FORUM CAN YOU BE GUARANTEED GRAMMAR LESSONS ?

Apprentice

User Info Menu

If you swab, or brush your gun you should snap a primer before loading to clear flash hole. Also BH seems to do best when it's working. Although I have shot 250's I find it likes to push that 300 gr slug
    Agree. Always do this. I also clean the breech spotless using this method: http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GcLnxPsKLDE

I tried everything and am stumped. May be a bad bottle of BH209 as I said before, however, I am not the only one experiencing this. Lots of reviews say the same thing.

Apprentice

User Info Menu

Your ingition problems likely have to do with a loose fitting sabot. BH209 is similar to smokeless powder in that it needs to be compressed to build pressure and burn. I shoot smokeless in my savage and can tell you those red sabots that come with SST are too slick. If we are all lucky we won't get any comments of my gun choice by a certain someone! Also a fouled bore with be your friend. My groups don't start coming around until 5 or 6 shots. And let that barrel cool (15min+) when at the range.
    Last edited by rippin_355; December 3rd, 2015 at 10:33 AM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123