Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: BH 209 ..Holy Crap!!!

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bcxextreme View Post
    I called williams arms in PP.They said BH 209 was 49.99. I drove all the way there and found that the price was 67.99/10oz. Naturally I was not impressed but when I spoke to the owner(I assume) and explained it, he said the guy had given me the old price.He knocked 7.00 off the price because i,d driven all the way just for that so I got two jugs. I will do the breech plug mod myself so I will be joining the BH bandwagon very soon. Two containers should last me several seasons and by then there will be something new
    The drive and price is worth it. Trust me.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Has all the answers

User Info Menu

CVA ought to offer the breech plug as a standard feature that is compatible with both pellets and loose powder.

OP - FYI, couple specific brands of 209 primers (CCI 209M and Federal 209A) are strongly recommended for use with BH209.

Apprentice

User Info Menu

Don't worry too much - in my experience its not that great at any price; certainly not the holy grail of muzzle loader propellants in my opinion.

The trick is getting it to to ignite consistently for you. If you have the right ML to achieve that, then its great as it burns clean, if not its an exercise in frustration.

For me, I could not achieve this. I have a Thompson Center Bone Collector ML and I gave up on making it work with it. I tried all the primers including the "hot" CCI 209 Magnum. I clean and prep my ML spotless and follow all the instructions to a "T". I am not new at using a ML.

When I switched to BH209 2 years ago, I had a couple of misfires at the range with it. Should have taken the hint and stopped then.

I then used it for hunting and aimed at a nice buck and you guessed it - aim, pull the trigger (click), primer goes off, wait, wait, (WTF!), Bang!!! By that time I had moved the reticles off the buck and clean missed, watched the buck run away - Grrrrr, F&%K and a few other cuss words LOL!!

Since then, will not use that stuff any more - back to my dirty, dependable Triple 7 pellets.
    Last edited by Ahuntr300; December 1st, 2015 at 08:18 PM.

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

Dam that really blows. I dont expect it to do anything magical lol. There is a well documented mod to the BP that isnt too hard to do.I also have a wolf and the plugs are the same so I can swap it out anytime I want to shoot pellets. I got a cple tubs of it now so I hope it doesnt turn out like that shoky,s gold crap.

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sharps4570 View Post
    CVA ought to offer the breech plug as a standard feature that is compatible with both pellets and loose powder.

OP - FYI, couple specific brands of 209 primers (CCI 209M and Federal 209A) are strongly recommended for use with BH209.
    I had just picked up some remington sts primers which are actual shot shell primers.If they dont work I will track down one of the suggested brands.

Has all the answers

User Info Menu

Ahuntr300,

It's unfortunate that you had negative experience with the BH209 product. I own the same rifle (TC Bone Collector) and haven't encountered any hang fire, FTF or any other issues so far with the powder.

I had tested both CCI and Federal primers as specified by the BH209 propellant manufacturer - no issues whatsoever. However, after 13 consecutive rounds, I needed to throughly clean the breech plug flashhole prior to proceeding again.

OP - suggest use the recommended primer(s) only for optimized performance and clean the ML (as necessary at the range) using oil based solvents only otherwise the fouled bore/flash hole can easily gum up if water based solvents are used.

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bcxextreme View Post
    Ya it seems to be the Must Have propellant. Aside from less cleaning I really dont see the need. I might be persuaded if I didnt need to spend another 50.00 on a breach plug and a re loader so I,m not spilling it all over the place when I,m hunting. At the end of the day it wont make a dead deer any more dead.
    Well lets just consider this. How much are we really talking here. To me the $50 on a breech plug is a non event. What did your scope rings and bases cost ? (Actually afraid to ask that). If normal powder is going for around 50$. Ya the stuff I burn at least a can a week of I think if I get to where an extra 10-15$ bugs me for a powder it'll take me 10 years to shoot off then perhaps I'd be better with knitting needles. Just sayin

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ahuntr300 View Post
    Don't worry too much - in my experience its not that great at any price; certainly not the holy grail of muzzle loader propellants in my opinion.

The trick is getting it to to ignite consistently for you. If you have the right ML to achieve that, then its great as it burns clean, if not its an exercise in frustration.

For me, I could not achieve this. I have a Thompson Center Bone Collector ML and I gave up on making it work with it. I tried all the primers including the "hot" CCI 209 Magnum. I clean and prep my ML spotless and follow all the instructions to a "T". I am not new at using a ML.

When I switched to BH209 2 years ago, I had a couple of misfires at the range with it. Should have taken the hint and stopped then.

I then used it for hunting and aimed at a nice buck and you guessed it - aim, pull the trigger (click), primer goes off, wait, wait, (WTF!), Bang!!! By that time I had moved the reticles off the buck and clean missed, watched the buck run away - Grrrrr, F&%K and a few other cuss words LOL!!

Since then, will not use that stuff any more - back to my dirty, dependable Triple 7 pellets.
    What bullet sabot combo were you using?

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by standup View Post
    Well lets just consider this. How much are we really talking here. To me the $50 on a breech plug is a non event. What did your scope rings and bases cost ? (Actually afraid to ask that). If normal powder is going for around 50$. Ya the stuff I burn at least a can a week of I think if I get to where an extra 10-15$ bugs me for a powder it'll take me 10 years to shoot off then perhaps I'd be better with knitting needles. Just sayin
    The scope rings and and base came with the gun, not really sure what that has to do with anything.Aside from that If I feel a product is over priced than To me it is.

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Cheap at twice the price

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast