Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A better way to load sabots.

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

Default A better way to load sabots.

I have been thinking about the common problem of loading sabots. And the very reason I hate them. They can be a real to load. Especially if the barrel is the least bit dirty.I have bad wrists and I just find it a real problem to do repeatedly. The plus side of them is the cost. They are way cheaper than any of the current sabot less deigns ( at least the ones I.m familiar with) Anyhoo I decided to try a different approach. First I took the plastic sabot sleeve and used my finger to flare the petals open a bit. I slid it into the bore until it was just fully sunk into the actual rifled portion of the barrel. I then took the bullet and gently slid it in as straight as possible and then slowly rammed it down the bore. The bullet only partially enters the jacket until the jacket bottoms out then with one quick push it seats the rest of the way in. I tried it with boat tail bullets as well as an sst which is only slightly rounded on the trailing edge. Both methods worked fine and they were sooo much easier to load. I didnt fire them but I am going to do some experimenting next time im out shooting to see if there is any affect on accuracy. I really dont see why there would be but i,m going to try it and see.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Member for Life

User Info Menu

There can be a few problems if your having a hard time loading a saboted bullet. One I found early on was using a ram that did not allow the sabot to 'twist' easily in the barrel.

I bought on of these 'Super Rats' from PR bullets and it solved a lot of the issues I felt were happening. The design just makes sense.

https://www.prbullet.com/rat.htm

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

Never really thought about the bullet needing to twist going in.It does make sense when you consider it has to twist to get out. Thats a very cool tool. I,m sure in general I need to pay more attention to how the bullet is loading and the final seating pressure I am using. My problem is that after a few loads my wrist is hurting so I am likely not applying the same pressure because its uncomfortable. It,s why I really like the bore lok's. They go down like nothing.

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

Bad Bull loads their saboted loads the same way, first the empty sabot down the barrel then the bullet. I've tried it with my .50 cal but I was always afraid of the bullet not seating properly, either bending one of the petals of the sabot or not bottoming out in the sabot. It does work but for me I lack the confidence in using that method.

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by smokeeter View Post
    Bad Bull loads their saboted loads the same way, first the empty sabot down the barrel then the bullet. I've tried it with my .50 cal but I was always afraid of the bullet not seating properly, either bending one of the petals of the sabot or not bottoming out in the sabot. It does work but for me I lack the confidence in using that method.
    Thats why I want to experiment with it. There is potential but I have yet to test the results. A boat tail bullet would be no problem It has enough taper to easily slide into the sabot without snagging the petals. I also wonder if it will work by not pushing the sabot quite as far down before loading the bullet. If the petals are left partially exposed the bullet could be started, ensuring it passes the edges of the petals cleanly and then slowly pushed down and seated.I have a bunch of old lyman shockers that I will use for testing.

Elite Member

User Info Menu

wa is that tool worth mikepal??

cheers

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by smokeeter View Post
    I watched the BB video.They weren't using a sabot but rather some sort of wad. They are nice looking guns but man alive If I had to go through all that every time I loaded it I would get pretty sick of it at the range.

Post-a-holic

User Info Menu

I had the same problem until I changed the sabot to one that was a bit harder than the sabot that came with bullet. This worked for me plus gave better group.
    Experience is what you gain when you didn't get what you wanted.

Many are called but only a few are chosen.

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bcxextreme View Post
    I watched the BB video.They weren't using a sabot but rather some sort of wad. They are nice looking guns but man alive If I had to go through all that every time I loaded it I would get pretty sick of it at the range.
    Bad Bull did produce one model that is designed for saboted loads. Utiliy S series
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0i2WH0ksDI

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by twostroke View Post
    wa is that tool worth mikepal??

cheers
    The website quotes them as $14....see: https://www.prbullet.com/price15.htm

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast