Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A better way to load sabots.

Leads by example

User Info Menu

I make sure I swab between every shot to get rid of the 777 crud ring. I first run a patch with a shot of the milk TC cleaner (maybe 5 up and downs) , then I run a dry patch passed down 2-3 times, then a G96 patch 2-3 times(I pre-spray some patches with it and keep them in a little ziplock). RemOil works OK as well, but G96 is better.Bore Butter does not work even remotely as well as the G96. One pass down with the G96 swab makes the sabot load almost effortless. One other thing - make sure the threading on your jag and handle extension are not fully thread tightened, or your ramrod will not free spiral as you're loading. The sabot (and bullet) should be following the rifling in a spiral manner as it is seated. Works well with me, and as a bonus you are leaving your barrel coated in an anti-rust film after you're loaded.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Leads by example

User Info Menu

I just load wih the Encore ramrod, no jag.
    Am I missing something?

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

Has anyone ever tried to push one through with a fixed jag and then with a loose or revolving jag to compare how the markings on the sabot look. ?

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

it doesn't matter whether you use a fixed jag or a spin jag the sabot will still follow the rifling, it's just easier with the spin jag. If you mark your ramrod you will see it rotate and you can measure the twist of your rifling by seeing how far the ramrod goes in for one revolution. I have some pics of some sabots before and after I lapped the bore, I did it to get rid of some chatter marks I had in my savage this was without a spin jag.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by smokeeter; November 27th, 2015 at 04:58 PM.

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

Very interesting. I thought I was gonna have to pull out my gun and try it. No need now.. I can clearly see the difference between the first two and the second.Actually I may do it just to see if my barrel leaves nice smooth lines or chewed up ones. I would hope with the extra reaming the barrel gets on the accura's that it would be pretty smooth.

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

I tried it just to see. Yes if you slowly push it down and watch you can see the rod rotating. I would never have guessed it. It actually loosens the jag as the rifling unscrews it. I was also happy to see very clean marks on the sabot with no chattering at all.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12