Thread: Bullet Swaging !!

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

Default Bullet Swaging !!

I have just stumbled onto this technique. Being the tinkering sort It looks like something that is right up my ally.
    http://www.450bushmaster.net/viewtop...t=910&start=60 Scroll half way down

Spent brass casings are used to make jacketed bullets. The same could be done to make ml bullets. Thats pretty much what most of them are anyway. It really isnt that hard to do from what I can tell. I picked up a bunch of old brass from the local spot where everyone sights in their guns.I have over 100 335gr .45 cal lyman shockers that have .54 cal sabots on them. If I can find a cheap press and a die i,m going to give it a shot. I have a small hobby lathe I can use to trim the casings. I may even try to machine some sabots from teflon or something.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

Pretty neat!
    Do you leave an old primer or do you have to remove it and have some lead exposed?

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

Well it seems like the normal way is to leave it in. However in the case of ML the rim of the casing could be machined off for a flat bottom. Im not sure if leaving the rim on would cause issues with seating in the sabot. I think I would remove the primer to allow some of the excess lead to squeeze out.The brass is annealed before hand to soften it, and from what I can tell it can be stretched quite a bit. I saw a video of another method that I think would be better for higher velocities.He put flux in the jacket and melted the lead with a torch to bond it to the jacket and then pressed it to the right size and shape.

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu