Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891013 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 132

Thread: Blood Trail??

  1. #21
    Borderline Spammer

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sparky494 View Post
    Okay, good advice on the OFAH. I will look into it. And, no, I did not know where the property line was, we are talking parcels that are over 15 acres each in size, both completely vacant. My deer was laying 40 feet from me. If you can honestly tell me that you would have left it there and called the property owner, I would have to call you a liar. That's insane. Have you ever heard of the privacy act? Even if I wanted to contact he owner of the land, it might take days of investigation to find out who it is. As I had mentioned, the deer was laying dead fifty feet from me. Middle of the bush, vacant land. Not sure which property it was on, as I accessed it from the atv trail on back.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    In today's times with more rules/laws being implemented by antis ( remember land owners use infrared cameras for security too) I've learned to plan ahead & not cross anyone's fence or property. You never know who, when, & where you are being watched. As above mentioned. If you can deal with a trespassing fine deal with it. If the MNR goes further with it, then they may make your hunting future costly or lose privledges for a bit??? Good luck though.
    Last edited by robster; December 4th, 2015 at 11:12 PM.

  2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT
     

  3. #22
    Borderline Spammer

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sparky494 View Post
    Okay, good advice on the OFAH. I will look into it. And, no, I did not know where the property line was, we are talking parcels that are over 15 acres each in size, both completely vacant. My deer was laying 40 feet from me. If you can honestly tell me that you would have left it there and called the property owner, I would have to call you a liar. That's insane. Have you ever heard of the privacy act? Even if I wanted to contact he owner of the land, it might take days of investigation to find out who it is. As I had mentioned, the deer was laying dead fifty feet from me. Middle of the bush, vacant land. Not sure which property it was on, as I accessed it from the atv trail on back.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    fourth sentence you say the deer was laying 40 feet from you . In the ninth sentence you say the deer was laying 50 feet from you.

    which was it? One of those sentences is a lie.

    and yes I have heard of the privacy act, I have also heard of the trespass act and you admitted in your first post that the deer ran onto the adjacent property, now you claim you didn't know what property you were on. I clearly understand why the CO made the comment that you are a liar.

    when you get in front of a justice of the peace, you best stick to one story and one measurement.

  4. #23
    Borderline Spammer

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Yes- it would have helped Sparky's cause had he contacted the landowner before retrieving the deer. But, on the other hand I have come across a CO or two in my time who had egos the size of a Buick and at times went wildly overboard with their charges. I know of one who laid seven separate fines on a goose hunter- after the trial six were dropped. Go to court explain yourself to the judge- include character witnesses and in all likely hood you may end up with nothing more than a trespassing fine. But as a landowner as well I cannot stress how important it is, if you shot a deer and it expires on another property to ask to retrieve it from the landowner and if they give you any grief then contact the MNR -good luck

  5. #24
    Loyal Member

    User Info Menu

    Default

    In my "understanding" we as ethical hunters are suppose to do everything in our power to retrieve any and all animals we shoot.
    Yes I get it.. He had to trespass however without a home or anything on the property he can't go knocking.
    Should he have gone and looked up landowner through the "township"?
    Than call and ask if it is "ok" to drag it out?
    What if guy said "No" ? Than he would have to call MNR to recover the deer for him?
    I know 1-800-tips line they don't answer you back for awhile.
    Therefore the deer would most likely spoil..
    I personally would fight this hand downs..
    MNR showed up days later with a dog to track blood, I've shot deer where 0 blood trail for at least 50-100ft away with snow down.
    So to me for them to find blood days later to the exact spot which you hit the deer are nearly impossible.
    And you also claim u hit it straight on I doubt the bolt even went through the deer. Until its belly chest filled up with blood. Than it could leak out the hole from bolt.
    At worst I don't think you would get anything more than a "trespass" fine.
    As long as you did shoot the deer on the property you had permission on.
    Good Luck Fight it all the way.
    Flip

  6. #25
    Member for Life

    User Info Menu

    Default

    It would be interesting to hear the other side of the story from the fellow hunter that turned him in....his side of the story may be what the CO's are reacting to.
    Last edited by MikePal; December 5th, 2015 at 08:18 AM.
    Arte et marte (By Skill and by Fighting)...The RCEME motto

  7. #26
    Mod Squad

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by flippin View Post
    In my "understanding" we as ethical hunters are suppose to do everything in our power to retrieve any and all animals we shoot.
    Yes I get it.. He had to trespass however without a home or anything on the property he can't go knocking.
    Should he have gone and looked up landowner through the "township"?
    Than call and ask if it is "ok" to drag it out?
    What if guy said "No" ? Than he would have to call MNR to recover the deer for him?
    I know 1-800-tips line they don't answer you back for awhile.
    Therefore the deer would most likely spoil..
    I personally would fight this hand downs..
    MNR showed up days later with a dog to track blood, I've shot deer where 0 blood trail for at least 50-100ft away with snow down.
    So to me for them to find blood days later to the exact spot which you hit the deer are nearly impossible.
    And you also claim u hit it straight on I doubt the bolt even went through the deer. Until its belly chest filled up with blood. Than it could leak out the hole from bolt.
    At worst I don't think you would get anything more than a "trespass" fine.
    As long as you did shoot the deer on the property you had permission on.
    Good Luck Fight it all the way.
    Flip
    Here is a thought. Reason I'm hunting a very small area 15 acres why not contact adjacent owners before the hunt for just such situations . At least that is what a responsible person would do.
    Time in the outdoors is never wasted

  8. #27
    Loyal Member

    User Info Menu

    Default

    thank you all for reminding me why I have not been on this site in a while. A fellow hunter asks for some help and this is how you treat him. Sounds like to me he did everything right.

    "Here is a thought. Reason I'm hunting a very small area 15 acres why not contact adjacent owners before the hunt for just such situations . At least that is what a responsible person would do.'

    Are you serious here, hahaha, I own 4 farms and hunt a couple others and I know that the other farms I hunt were enough time finding the property lines and permission. Now I should let every neighbouring property owner know I am hunting!!! HAHAHAA A friend of mine had a bow shot deer run 3 concessions, should he have had pre permission on all of those farms too!!

    This is the problem with many of you on this site. We are hunters and need to stick together. Ok if he shot the deer on the other property then cruisify him. But because he tracked a deer on a neighboring property we stick it to him. What a joke. I was actually coming on here to post a pic of the monster buck I got this year, but now I see it is really not worth it because im sure someone will find something to complain about

    Good luck with your charges and if you were in the right then don't worry
    Team South...............Ice Fishin Magicians

  9. #28
    Loyal Member

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bowdren View Post
    thank you all for reminding me why I have not been on this site in a while. A fellow hunter asks for some help and this is how you treat him. Sounds like to me he did everything right.

    "Here is a thought. Reason I'm hunting a very small area 15 acres why not contact adjacent owners before the hunt for just such situations . At least that is what a responsible person would do.'

    Are you serious here, hahaha, I own 4 farms and hunt a couple others and I know that the other farms I hunt were enough time finding the property lines and permission. Now I should let every neighbouring property owner know I am hunting!!! HAHAHAA A friend of mine had a bow shot deer run 3 concessions, should he have had pre permission on all of those farms too!!

    This is the problem with many of you on this site. We are hunters and need to stick together. Ok if he shot the deer on the other property then cruisify him. But because he tracked a deer on a neighboring property we stick it to him. What a joke. I was actually coming on here to post a pic of the monster buck I got this year, but now I see it is really not worth it because im sure someone will find something to complain about

    Good luck with your charges and if you were in the right then don't worry
    By the letter of the law no he shouldn't have had PRE permission on all those farms, but he 100% should have had permission on each one before trespassing to track his animal (or pre contacted the MNR to assist).

    It sounds the the OP came on here to get an army of hunters rally behind him that he was absolutely right and there shouldn't be any charges laid ra ra ra, and no offense meant by that statement Sparky, but most of the people on here have many years of experience and have dealt with these situations in one way or another and you got quite defensive when anyone mentioned anything negative, AND you mixed up your story in a written medium while not being questioned.

    Personally I agree with you if I had shot a deer and it died 40..... or 50 feet from me I probably would have tracked tagged on the spot (drag back to the property I have permission (10 feet or so approx I assume)) gutted it and called it a day, however you did trespass and if you mixed up your story as bad as you did on here the MNR officer (potentially a dick you never said anything about his character) probably had a reason to give you such a hard time.

    Like most people have said you are probably staring down a trespassing charge and nothing more if you explain yourself more concisely when appearing before a Justice.

    You probably did something that 99% of us would have done and got caught doing it by some unfavorable people, that sucks but it is what it is laws exist for a reason.

    -Steve
    Last edited by Stevedigs04; December 5th, 2015 at 08:48 AM.

  10. #29
    Just starting out

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Hey fins, I should probably call everyone in my entire area first too. Actually, maybe the entire township, or just to be prepared; the District. And, I should most likely bring four changes of clothes, three cell phones, a township map, two GPS, and a pack of flares just in case. Lol. Get real dude. I assume you don't hunt much, and if you do, you probably spend more time worrying if you left the stove on at home, instead of hunting. Please people, lets try and keep replies reasonable and realistic, and at least semi-intelligent. I posted on here to hopefully hear some rational and helpful ideas on your experiences that maybe similar. I haven't given every detail, simply because it would take three pages. It sums up as: I shot a deer on property I was allowed to be on. It ran and died APPPROX 40-50 ft away. I went and got it. I didn't know I had crossed into the neighbouring property to get it, as there is no clear boundary, nor is there any posted signs where I was (a well-used ATV trail). The MNR dogs only found blood on the neighbours property, and now claim I shot it over there. The shot was high and from the front. I didn't try to hide anything during his entire process. And, I live up the road from where this all happened. I had nothing to hide from anyone. The deer didn't bleed for at least 50 ft. MNR is treating me like a criminal. Ruined my reputation amongst my neighbours, scared my young children coming into my home to take away deer (three officers and three trucks!) and have caused a black mark on my reputation in my small town. I am also a business owner who is liked, and well respected in my area. I find this unacceptable, even if I simply trespassed to retrieve my deer. We need CO's to be a bit more understanding in the field. Following the letter of the law without regard to anything else will never work.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  11. #30
    Has all the answers

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bowdren View Post
    thank you all for reminding me why I have not been on this site in a while. A fellow hunter asks for some help and this is how you treat him. Sounds like to me he did everything right.

    This is the problem with many of you on this site. We are hunters and need to stick together.

    Good luck with your charges and if you were in the right then don't worry


    Bowdren how long you been away? Nothing has changed, the internet CO's and Lawyers all have to have their say, the OP should have known this... 'ell you could almost guess the members that would volunteer the be the CO, Judge and Jury, I'm just surprised more of them didn't come up with the sentencing. All of them holy the thou!

    To the OP's question, yes I have had a fatally shot deer run with no blood, no hair, nothing, it was even a heart shot! My bolt went through him, took out the bottom of his heart, hit the leg on the other side and stopped, the broad head was broken off when he jumped and ran, the shaft was now sticking out both sides, in essence closing the wound up, he bleed out inside. I had very few, small droplets of blood start at about 30 (+ or - for Mr. Wilson) He ran 40-50 yards, then stopped, then there was blood, a huge pool of it, he took another 3 steps and dropped.

    Another deer I shot from the tree stand at about 5-7 yards, a very steep angled shot that was also of very poor placement... he was walking and I did not stop him, hit him back. The fatty tissue closed the exit hole up; but I had hit an artery and he bled out inside. If not for watching him drop, I may not have gotten him, I thought he was walking away.

    So, yes you made a poor choice of shot; but look to your exit hole, that may explain why there was no blood.

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891013 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •