Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 47891011121314
Results 131 to 140 of 140

Thread: Dog food

  1. #131
    Mod Squad

    User Info Menu

    Default

    LOL....................................
    " We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett


  2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT
     

  3. #132
    Mod Squad

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by yellow dog View Post
    I have had many working Siberian Huskies that lived to 15 and 16 years of age being fed high protein and fat diets(meat) and die of old age. A good friend of mine had a sled dog live to 17 years of age on the same diet. I think the key to longevity besides genetics is a physical working routine.
    I can assure you that my setter has had good physical workouts ,( She's an athlete.) for her whole life, and still is getting ...............................
    " We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett


  4. #133
    Elite Member

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Too hot to me means hyperactive behavior (over and above the typical high energy a working dog should possess)

  5. #134
    Member for Life

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cass View Post
    Too hot to me means hyperactive behavior (over and above the typical high energy a working dog should possess)
    This is pretty well it. He was uber spun and didn't have good stools even. Switching to Acana settled him down yet gave him unlimited energy in the field.
    Iím suspicious of people who don't like dogs, but I trust a dog who doesn't like a person.

  6. #135
    Mod Squad

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Now I'm totally confused. You 're saying the dog food you were feeding , you felt made him "too hot" as in too much energy/hyperactive in the home.
    That's something I never heard before.
    " We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett


  7. #136
    Has too much time on their hands

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by terrym View Post
    This is pretty well it. He was uber spun and didn't have good stools even. Switching to Acana settled him down yet gave him unlimited energy in the field.
    This pretty much describes the spaniel breed Terry. The food just didn't agree with your dog's digestive system.

  8. #137
    Post-a-holic

    User Info Menu

    Default

    My boys are on a high protein diet year round. I really don't subscribe to the thinking that a diet which is hot begets certain behavioural traits. Yes I believe they may have lots of energy but that's where 'house' rules come into play and certain behaviours are developed over the long term that fit for their environment. I expect mine to be 'down' in the family room at night...not pacing laps.

    Having said the above I did have one dog who required a tempered diet due to kidney issues but dogs like people are all different.

    Feeding dogs is both science and art. You've got to find what fits. Obviously you're looking for the physical condition in all respects but their behaviour is important as well and 'what works...works'!

    There are clear studies on genetics and life expectancy for most breeds. Not sure I believe a diet can over ride what one is predisposed for. In general our smaller dogs live longer....a fact confirmed ....but not always.

    Dog food can be like a handful of jelly beans........things vary.

  9. #138
    Has too much time on their hands

    User Info Menu

    Default

    The only time I had a dog that I would consider Running Hot was when a I was in a sprint race in the Gatineau Hills. I dog jockeyed for a friend of mine dog team throughout Ontario,Quebec and throughout parts of New England for many years. He forgot to mention that one of his females that I was running in the team was in heat. Long story short she overheated(heat cycle) and I had to put her in the basket of the sled part way through the race to complete the race. We got her back to the dog truck pulled her out of the sled and covered her with snow to get her cooled down and poured a small amount of the soft drink Sprite into her mouth. She slowly drank the sugary drink up and within a few minutes was back on her feet. This is what I consider running hot and come across this on a rare occasion during fall training with the dog team pulling an ATV. Typically it's the darker coated dogs that can get overheated during the fall season (sudden temperature rise)but it can happen during the winter as well if the temperature rises. It's very important a working dog is watered before and after training so not to over heat. As mentioned in an earlier post Glycocharge is a fantastic product to add to water that provides the necessary electrolytes for working dogs.

  10. #139
    Mod Squad

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by krakadawn View Post
    My boys are on a high protein diet year round. I really don't subscribe to the thinking that a diet which is hot begets certain behavioural traits. Yes I believe they may have lots of energy but that's where 'house' rules come into play and certain behaviours are developed over the long term that fit for their environment. I expect mine to be 'down' in the family room at night...not pacing laps.

    Having said the above I did have one dog who required a tempered diet due to kidney issues but dogs like people are all different.

    Feeding dogs is both science and art. You've got to find what fits. Obviously you're looking for the physical condition in all respects but their behaviour is important as well and 'what works...works'!

    There are clear studies on genetics and life expectancy for most breeds. Not sure I believe a diet can over ride what one is predisposed for. In general our smaller dogs live longer....a fact confirmed ....but not always.

    Dog food can be like a handful of jelly beans........things vary.

    Thank you. Excellent post!
    " We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett


  11. #140
    Member for Life

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by krakadawn View Post
    Dog food can be like a handful of jelly beans......
    Have to disagree.

    Just ate a handful of kibble and it was nothing like jellybeans.

    Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk
    "The language of dogs and birds teaches you your own language."
    -- Jim Harrison (1937 - 2016)

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 47891011121314

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •