Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 367891011121314 LastLast
Results 121 to 130 of 140

Thread: Dog food

  1. #121
    Has too much time on their hands

    User Info Menu

    Default

    PM sent.

  2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT
     

  3. #122
    Just starting out

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by terrym View Post
    I found the same re: protein. Tried Orijen but found it too hot. Went to Acana and that was a better fit for him.
    What do you mean by "too hot"? I've heard it before but never truly understood what it meant.

  4. #123
    Member for Life

    User Info Menu

    Default

    too much protein which can cause kidney damage


    "Proteins are the building blocks of the body and an absolute necessity for daily function. However, when a dog consumes too much protein in a meal it cannot all be utilized at one time, nor can it be stored for later. The body will then excrete the excess protein through the kidneys and out of the body via urine. Thus the quality of the protein actually becomes more important that than actual amount as a high quality protein is more bio-available and can be better absorbed by the body. " quote
    " We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett


  5. #124
    Just starting out

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sharon View Post
    too much protein which can cause kidney damage


    "Proteins are the building blocks of the body and an absolute necessity for daily function. However, when a dog consumes too much protein in a meal it cannot all be utilized at one time, nor can it be stored for later. The body will then excrete the excess protein through the kidneys and out of the body via urine. Thus the quality of the protein actually becomes more important that than actual amount as a high quality protein is more bio-available and can be better absorbed by the body. " quote
    Thanks!
    Is this determine by vet tests or are there signs a dog exhibits?

  6. #125
    Member for Life

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Not easy to know. Vomiting /diarrhea can be symptoms.

    ( Just my opinion. i could be totally wrong. )
    " We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett


  7. #126
    Has too much time on their hands

    User Info Menu

    Default

    But then again i have never come across in all my years any working dog suffering kidney damage from too much protein. Some proteins can be too rich for a digestive system and cause diarrhea.

  8. #127
    Member for Life

    User Info Menu

    Default

    I hear you , but who knows. My 10 year old setter now has urinary incontinence in the night.

    Who knows if she rec'd too much protein over the years and it damaged her kidneys.
    Last edited by Sharon; September 20th, 2016 at 08:21 PM.
    " We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett


  9. #128
    Has too much time on their hands

    User Info Menu

    Default

    I have had many working Siberian Huskies that lived to 15 and 16 years of age being fed high protein and fat diets(meat) and die of old age. A good friend of mine had a sled dog live to 17 years of age on the same diet. I think the key to longevity besides genetics is a physical working routine.

  10. #129
    Just starting out

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sharon View Post
    Not easy to know. Vomiting /diarrhea can be symptoms.

    ( Just my opinion. i could be totally wrong. )
    Good to know!

  11. #130
    Member for Life

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sharon View Post
    I hear you , but who knows. My 10 year old setter now has urinary incontinence in the night.

    Who knows if she re'd too much protein over the years and it damaged her kidneys.
    must be all that corn..........
    Iím suspicious of people who don't like dogs, but I trust a dog who doesn't like a person.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •