Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314 LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 140

Thread: Dog food

  1. #81
    Member for Life

    User Info Menu

    Default

    4 out the first 6 ingredients in PPP sport are grain products.
    Iím suspicious of people who don't like dogs, but I trust a dog who doesn't like a person.

  2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT
     

  3. #82
    Member for Life

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by terrym View Post
    and how many grains are listed in the first 5 ingredients?
    2


    Chicken, corn gluten meal, brewers rice, animal fat preserved with mixed-tocopherols (form of Vitamin E), poultry by-product meal (source of glucosamine), whole grain corn, corn germ meal, fish meal (source of glucosamine), animal digest, fish oil, dried egg product, salt, calcium carbonate, potassium chloride, calcium phosphate, Vitamin E supplement, choline chloride, L-Lysine monohydrochloride, L-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate (source of Vitamin C), zinc sulfate, ferrous sulfate, manganese sulfate, niacin, Vitamin A supplement, calcium pantothenate, thiamine mononitrate, copper sulfate, riboflavin supplement, Vitamin B-12 supplement, pyridoxine hydrochloride, garlic oil, folic acid, Vitamin D-3 supplement, calcium iodate, biotin, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of Vitamin K activity), and sodium selenite
    " We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett


  4. #83
    Has too much time on their hands

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by terrym View Post
    4 out the first 6 ingredients in PPP sport are grain products.
    Keep in mind Terry many people feed a brand of dog food containing a 4 grain as the main ingredients. Many people rarely compete their dog at a high or extreme level. The weekend warrior hunting dog for the most part will do well on such a recipe but will require more cups of kibble per day as compared to a meat base dog food that require less.

    My 58lb lab gets 2 1/2 cups of RedPaw dog food a day and my 38lb Springer gets just under 2 cups a day. They would most definitely require more if the kibble was a heavy grain base because of their daily exercise routine.
    Last edited by yellow dog; September 15th, 2016 at 11:06 PM.

  5. #84
    Member for Life

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Corn gluten meal is actually a source of protein, not a carbohydrate. Is it really relevant whether it's a grain?

    Ingredients lists do not tell you about the quality of a dog food. They do not tell you the proportions of the ingredients, nor how the food is prepared. They don't tell you about bioavailable nutrition.

    What tells you the quality of a food is the health and performance of dogs fed that food. Pro Plan is doing just fine in that regard.

    At the moment, my own dogs are on Loyall.
    "The language of dogs and birds teaches you your own language."
    -- Jim Harrison (1937 - 2016)

  6. #85
    Member for Life

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sharon View Post
    2


    Chicken, corn gluten meal, brewers rice, animal fat preserved with mixed-tocopherols (form of Vitamin E), poultry by-product meal (source of glucosamine), whole grain corn, corn germ meal, fish meal (source of glucosamine), animal digest, fish oil, dried egg product, salt, calcium carbonate, potassium chloride, calcium phosphate, Vitamin E supplement, choline chloride, L-Lysine monohydrochloride, L-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate (source of Vitamin C), zinc sulfate, ferrous sulfate, manganese sulfate, niacin, Vitamin A supplement, calcium pantothenate, thiamine mononitrate, copper sulfate, riboflavin supplement, Vitamin B-12 supplement, pyridoxine hydrochloride, garlic oil, folic acid, Vitamin D-3 supplement, calcium iodate, biotin, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of Vitamin K activity), and sodium selenite
    1) Chicken
    2) corn gluten meal
    3) brewers rice
    4) preserved animal fat
    5) poultry byproducts
    6) whole grain corn
    7) corn germ meal


    put some salt & oil on this stuff and you could sell it at the movies
    Iím suspicious of people who don't like dogs, but I trust a dog who doesn't like a person.

  7. #86
    Member for Life

    User Info Menu

    Default

    I'm not disputing that likely 75% of trial dogs live on PPP. But if 75% of the field uses the same feed then really the feed isn't what makes one dog rise above others. Its training and genetics at that point. Many people I talk to say they have "always" fed PPP. Well if that's the case then they really don't know if their dogs would actually do better with something else if it hasn't been tried. Allegiance to Purina because of marketing support in the trial world is understandable but if Loyall all of a sudden outspent Purina for 5 years straight I think you would see the same support.

    My dog does great on Acana but the next one may not. Couldn't get a solid dump out of him with PPP. I'm not going to assume Acana is going to be the best for the next one.
    Last edited by terrym; September 15th, 2016 at 11:20 PM.
    Iím suspicious of people who don't like dogs, but I trust a dog who doesn't like a person.

  8. #87
    Has too much time on their hands

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Yes dog genetics is the main ingredient .I personally know many people that use to feed Purina to their racing dogs during the early 1990's because of price point not quality. Many dog foods surpassed them soon after that because a small handful of kennels were actually involved in research developing a better kibble working along side a couple of dog food manufacturers.
    Last edited by yellow dog; September 15th, 2016 at 11:25 PM.

  9. #88
    Member for Life

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by yellow dog View Post
    My 58lb lab gets 2 1/2 cups of RedPaw dog food a day and my 38lb Springer gets just under 2 cups a day. They would most definitely require more if the kibble was a heavy grain base because of their daily exercise routine.
    Red Paw X Series Perform
    32 % protein
    20 % fat
    4214 kcal/kg metabolizable energy

    Pro Plan Performance 30/20
    30% protein
    20% fat
    4250 kcal/kg metabolizable energy
    "The language of dogs and birds teaches you your own language."
    -- Jim Harrison (1937 - 2016)

  10. #89
    Member for Life

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by yellow dog View Post
    Yes dog genetics is the main ingredient .
    And proper conditioning. The best dogs that win in competition are highly conditioned and trained.
    Iím suspicious of people who don't like dogs, but I trust a dog who doesn't like a person.

  11. #90
    Member for Life

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by terrym View Post
    1) Chicken
    2) corn gluten meal
    3) brewers rice
    4) preserved animal fat
    5) poultry byproducts
    6) whole grain corn
    7) corn germ meal


    put some salt & oil on this stuff and you could sell it at the movies
    You said the first 5. LOL What are you still doing up? My car is in the garage and I'm bored to death.
    " We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett


Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •