Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need a Little Advice - New to ML

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Default Need a Little Advice - New to ML

I'm going to move away from my slug gun to a ML. I'm in an area now with a second week for ML but not for sllug hunting. I'm looking at a Traditions Pursuit Ultralight 50 cal with a thumbhole stock. Cabelas Canada lists the gun but it's out of stock and they don't have a price.

I need a rough canadian price so I can make a fair trade for my slug gun. This would be without a scope on the ML.

Is the thumbhole a helpful feature? I've never even shouldered a stock with a thumbhole.

Anyone have any input?
    Last edited by DanO; December 10th, 2015 at 10:58 PM.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Has all the answers

User Info Menu

you better go try a thumbhole stock, some love them some hate them, as far as muzzleloaders go, there's a lot of used good guns around, and there's a lot of new good guns around for a very decent price, don't know what your shotgun is worth, but for a couple hundred bucks without a trade will get you into muzzleloader shooting, so many variables with a muzzleloader, trad guns, inlines, the choice is endless, now work up a load for one.....

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Cabela's lists the Traditions Pursuit G4 Ultralight (with scope) at around $500

http://www.cabelas.ca/product/82087/...35-10x44-scope

The 'Vortex' comes without a scope:
    http://www.cabelas.ca/product/24096/...der-w-cerakote

Funny you mention thumb hole stocks....a look at the Tradition's Home site, none of their G4 Ultralight series comes with a thumb hole stock.

https://www.traditionsfirearms.com/c...uit-Ultralight

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

I am one of the thumb hole haters. I dont care for them at all.That being said you might like them but as Bdog mentioned make sure you hold one and see how you like it before committing to one. Aside from that the traditions are nice guns but when I compared them to the new cva,s the cva was hands down a nicer gun. More solid, no sloppy fit at the hinge.And just over all felt better.I found the forestock on the traditions too narrow for my taste and it seems to have a very slight amount of play when it was broken open.Not terrible or anything but the cva had none at all. Even a cva wolf or a TC impact would be a great gun to start with before spending more.You will need to spend a bit on extras to go with it as well so It can add up pretty quick.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bcxextreme View Post
    Aside from that the traditions are nice guns but when I compared them to the new cva,s the cva was hands down a nicer gun. More solid, no sloppy fit at the hinge.And just over all felt better.
    I bought a Traditions Pursuit Pro some 15yrs back...it's been a workhorse, great gun for the money. After a few yrs I picked up the 12 ga BP barrel for it so it's does double duty as a bird gun (Turkey). Never had a problem with it.

My buddy picked up the CVA Optima at the same time, he too has had great luck with it. The only difference at the time was the fit....I'm 6'2" and he's 5'10" ...the Traditions had a better fit into my shoulder than the CVA which fit him fine.

I think that is what it boils down to with any gun....how well it feels when you pull into the shoulder, all else is an aside.

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

Your right.Not knocking the traditions.They look like a really nice gun.I just found it didnt fit me as well as the cva but both will kill deer without question.

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Thanks guys! I followed your thread on selecting a gun BCEXTREME and it got me interested in ML. I did shoulder the gun and I liked the thumb hole. It's an ultralight ML so I'm a little concerned about recoil. I like the weight for carrying though.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DanO View Post
    It's an ultralight ML so I'm a little concerned about recoil. I like the weight for carrying though.
    I'm curious how the gun your looking at ended up with a Thumb Hole...they don't appear to be made with it, was the one your looking at modified ?

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DanO View Post
    Thanks guys! I followed your thread on selecting a gun BCEXTREME and it got me interested in ML. I did shoulder the gun and I liked the thumb hole. It's an ultralight ML so I'm a little concerned about recoil. I like the weight for carrying though.
    Awesome. Im sure you will be quite happy with it.Is it the vortex The one with the stow away stock that you can store stuff in.?

Has all the answers

User Info Menu

Get a TC omega in thumbhole composite., simple easy cleaning fair price n it out shoot any black powder made

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast