Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 9.9 on a deep and wide?

Apprentice

User Info Menu

I had exactly the setup you described and had no problem at all with a 9.9hp on it. But you need to be careful to get it setup right, I think a lot of guys don't take the time to do this.

1) Buy a long gas line so the gas tank can sit in the front of the boat, this lets you get the motor setup so the nose is down.
    2) Adjust the tilt and don't be afraid to adjust it up or down depending on if you are alone or taking someone else with you, it is really awkward the first few times you do it, but eventually you can do it blindfolded.
    3) Make sure the motor shaft is positioned correctly with respect to transom height. The wide boats tend to make the motor sit too low in the water resulting in more drag. You may need a 1/4 inch or 1/2 inch spacer to slightly raise the motor.

The nice thing about modern technology is that it is so easy to download GPS apps for your phone that will show you accelleration and speed, so fine-tuning to get the best performance is much easier.

You won't blow the lights out with speed, but with two adults and a kid, plus a modest amount of equipment, you should get up-on-plane OK.

I used mine mostly on the St. Lawrence near Kingston.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Post-a-holic

User Info Menu

The only difference from a 9.9 to a 15 hp is the jets in the carb. Exact same motor just jetted differently. Quick and easy.

Apprentice

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by FishinScuba View Post
    The only difference from a 9.9 to a 15 hp is the jets in the carb. Exact same motor just jetted differently. Quick and easy.
    Depending on the BRAND . Some 15's "sport" a higher displacement (ccm) .

Post-a-holic

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gunner 38 View Post
    Depending on the BRAND . Some 15's "sport" a higher displacement (ccm) .
    Yeah I was going to edit my post and mention that I am no mechanic, but know a couple of people that have had it done. Thanks for correcting.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123