Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 589101112131415161718 LastLast

Thread: License Sales Down

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Good post GW11...I was going to say pretty much the same thing. There are more than a few guys who play loosey goosey with the Party hunting rules, not to mention how many camps have resorted to using a '2nd' poles thru the camps history when mistakes happen.

There sure seem to be a lot of hypocrisy as to when they think the book should be thrown at them.
    Last edited by MikePal; January 25th, 2016 at 05:57 AM.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by GW11 View Post
    Species, as usual your posts are well thought out and articulated. Unfortunately, some are having difficulty distinguishing between discussing an issue and promoting it. Apparently if we don't vehemently condemn an illegal activity while we discuss it, then we must be supporting, condoning and promoting it. Just because what we're talking about is based on (gasp) fish and game laws doesn't mean we can't discuss it like we could anything else.

For the record, I think plenty of the regulations are just plain dumb but it doesn't mean that I won't follow them. Why does the tag holder have to attach the tag, even though he might be 80 years old and a 2 km walk from the shooter? Why should I have to encase my gun/bow at dark, even though it's too dark to use it anyway? Why does my shotgun have to be plugged for 3 shots, even though I'm using it in an area that my buddy can carry his lever action rifle that holds 7 shells?

I might sympathize with the guy who gets fined for walking that tag in to the deer for the old-timer, or the guy who forgets his gun sock in the truck, but it doesn't mean that I "promote" it or that I'd do it myself.

Sometimes the self-righteousness around here gets a little thick.

There aint two types of poaching no matter what way you cut it,there seems to be a lot of selective reading on here.I just posted my camps Moose hunt where an honest mistake was made and ticket issued,no drama,we made a mistake and got fined.End of.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

The CO has discretion. Depending on the situation, he can choose whether to lay a charge, or issue a warning. That's going to depend on the circumstances and the offence.

It doesn't imply that there are two types of poaching.
    "The language of dogs and birds teaches you your own language."
    -- Jim Harrison (1937 - 2016)

Post-a-holic

User Info Menu

To the original post. I used to moose hunt but cant be bothered putting in for a tag 5 years running all the while paying the fee for nothing I don't bother any more. I'd class myself a very casual deer hunter and with deer numbers way down I don't buy a tag any more.

I expect there are a lot of folks like me that aren't a particular big game hunter that have opted out.
    Barry Keicks

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by welsh View Post
    The CO has discretion. Depending on the situation, he can choose whether to lay a charge, or issue a warning. That's going to depend on the circumstances and the offence.

It doesn't imply that there are two types of poaching.
    Some on here want to imply that.If a person makes a decision to kill a deer to feed himself or his family and its out of season or they have no license, I see very little possibility of them getting a break in this day and age.Nobody is so hard up these days that this should happen,if your hungry go to a food bank.The MNR take a 10% cut off available tags for poaching.This means that the legal hunter who is paying full freight gets less opportunity.I am not ok with that.If the poacher can afford the gun,ammunition and probably the means to transport a stolen deer,why does he need to steal.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gilroy View Post
    If a person makes a decision to kill a deer to feed himself or his family and its out of season or they have no license, I see very little possibility of them getting a break in this day and age.
    I can tell you I've spoken to someone at the MNR who have said that they would turn a blind eye in cases where people are obviously in dire straits. Those remarks were not re deer, but re fishing, seasons and limits. The guy I was talking to felt that this was something the resource would bear.

The MNR take a 10% cut off available tags for poaching.This means that the legal hunter who is paying full freight gets less opportunity.I am not ok with that.
    Whether you're okay with that or not, it isn't going to change, and so the MNR will continue to account for it in its management plans. Poaching will occur, just as trespassing will occur and speeding will occur. Stamping your foot and pouting has no effect.

The guy in abject poverty is not the guy doing most of that poaching anyway.
    "The language of dogs and birds teaches you your own language."
    -- Jim Harrison (1937 - 2016)

Elite Member

User Info Menu

I am not certain of the view on this in the present, but I can tell you that in the early 80's I hunted with a friend in Nova Scotia (we were both in the Air Force at the time).
    His family and friends were 'dirt poor' and I mean dirt poor in the context that the road were made of dirt in the area and the dirt in the surrounding farm was not fertile. Their family hunted to survive as many in the area did. If they did not have a good season hunting they went hungry.
    In that instance I had no issue with their choices and I still don't. I would hope that any CO would be smart enough to see such a situation and walk away from it.
    In this scenario the difference between poaching is the act to survive or the act to create profit however that plays out...
    There is room for all God's creatures - right next to the mashed potatoes!

Member for Life

User Info Menu

"The guy in abject poverty is not the guy doing most of that poaching anyway."

I guy in abject property would not have the means to poach a deer,firearm,transport.....and the whole thread has been about deer Moose and not about taking an extra fish.The CO up my will give you a summons for either violation.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Thats a dumb comment and not really true.

"

I guy in abject property would not have the means to poach a deer,firearm,transport.....and the whole thread has been about deer Moose and not about taking an extra fish.The CO up my will give you a summons for either violation.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DGearyFTE View Post
    I am not certain of the view on this in the present, but I can tell you that in the early 80's I hunted with a friend in Nova Scotia (we were both in the Air Force at the time).
    His family and friends were 'dirt poor' and I mean dirt poor in the context that the road were made of dirt in the area and the dirt in the surrounding farm was not fertile. Their family hunted to survive as many in the area did. If they did not have a good season hunting they went hungry.
    In that instance I had no issue with their choices and I still don't. I would hope that any CO would be smart enough to see such a situation and walk away from it.
    In this scenario the difference between poaching is the act to survive or the act to create profit however that plays out...

Very,very slippery slope for any CO to take. The word gets out that Joe Smith got a break who is your neighbour,then you expect the same break.Right.

The guy who killed the Bull this year at our camp asked the CO if he could at least keep the tenderloins.REPLY "DO YOU THINK I,AM GOING TO RISK MY JOB OVER A COUPLE OF TENDERLOINS".