Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 96

Thread: Upland dogs that will also retreive ducks and geese?

  1. #41
    Member for Life

    User Info Menu

    Default

    The issue is that if I have a flushing dog and they are 15 yards from me in the thick bush then there is no way I would ever be able to get a shot. I would like to get something that will notify me that there is a bird there and let me get into position for the best possible shot before I or the dog flushes, if the dog is rooting around but I cannot see the dog or the bird then what is the point of having a dog.

  2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT
     

  3. #42
    Mod Squad

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by welsh View Post
    The biggest challenge in grouse hunting with a flusher, I find, is dealing with wild-flushing birds. If the birds are going up well in front of the dog, and you're behind the dog, you're handicapped from the get-go. Especially if you have all kinds of thick cover in the way.

    Not sure how pointing dogs really compare on that front. If the dog has to go on point 15 yards from the bird the frustrations are probably equal.

    That's the trick she locks up and I start looking 15-20 yards ahead while picking out the best shooting lane sometimes it works.
    http://s1200.photobucket.com/user/ro...skxda.jpg.html
    Sometimes it doesn't.


    Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    The issue is that if I have a flushing dog and they are 15 yards from me in the thick bush then there is no way I would ever be able to get a shot. I would like to get something that will notify me that there is a bird there and let me get into position for the best possible shot before I or the dog flushes, if the dog is rooting around but I cannot see the dog or the bird then what is the point of having a dog.
    Sort of have to see it done to fully understand the inner workings hunting with a dog. You really have to be in tune with your dog the slight changes in tempo and movements will alert you to the presents of game. Even the tempo of her bell will let me know if shes getting birdy.
    Time in the outdoors is never wasted

  4. #43
    Member for Life

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by welsh View Post
    Hey, I'm busy blaming the dog for my misses. No solutions allowed.
    I always say "I shot just when I swung in front of a tree".

  5. #44
    Member for Life

    User Info Menu

    Default

    This thread needs more pictures.
    BTW - those duck/geese were all water retrieves from mucky beaver ponds.




  6. #45
    Member for Life

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by werner.reiche View Post
    I always say "I shot just when I swung in front of a tree".
    I had him lined up perfectly....

    "The language of dogs and birds teaches you your own language."
    -- Jim Harrison (1937 - 2016)

  7. #46
    Just starting out

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by terrym View Post
    Not many Brittanys can sit still in a blind, just be forewarned.
    X2 . Not many Britts will sit still in a blind. My 2 included.

  8. #47
    Member for Life

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by welsh View Post
    I had him lined up perfectly....

    You can always use the "too much choke" excuse. We would automatically back you up on that one.
    Iím suspicious of people who don't like dogs, but I trust a dog who doesn't like a person.

  9. #48
    Mod Squad

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by werner.reiche View Post
    This thread needs more pictures.
    BTW - those duck/geese were all water retrieves from mucky beaver ponds.




    Hmmm Much better looking than your avatar. Great pics.!

    flush on command: This is not a great video, and not the one I wanted, but gives a little idea of the behaviour.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7AS4...ature=youtu.be

    This is an excellent link on the differences in the training : for pointing breeds
    "steady to flush" right up to the last video on "flush on command".

    http://pointingdogblog.blogspot.ca/2...-now-what.html
    Last edited by Sharon; January 23rd, 2016 at 02:50 PM.
    " We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett


  10. #49
    Mod Squad

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by welsh View Post
    I had him lined up perfectly....

    What happens when you can't see the forest for the trees......
    Time in the outdoors is never wasted

  11. #50
    Member for Life

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sharon View Post
    Hmmm Much better looking than your avatar. Great pics.!

    flush on command: This is not a great video, and not the one I wanted, but gives a little idea of the behaviour.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7AS4...ature=youtu.be

    This is an excellent link on the differences in the training : for pointing breeds
    "steady to flush" right up to the last video on "flush on command".

    http://pointingdogblog.blogspot.ca/2...-now-what.html
    The guy in the avatar is 15 years younger, 30 pounds lighter, is at the end of the day on the last of 13 days of dark-to-dark deer hunting and just finished a 2 hour drag of a 150lb buck and 300lb bear out to the truck.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •