Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Canadian traditions tv show

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by terrym View Post
    I have wild tv but truthfully rarely watch it. It's not the commercials and the endorsements that bother me though. Without that money those shows wouldn't exist. User pay without corporate endorsement would be the end of that business. What I can't handle is trophy mentality and how they usually hunt in near preserve like conditions. Pretty far from reality for most and if a newby starts out expecting to be able to pass on bucks because they aren't book class then I think our sport is in trouble. I understand that the viewers want to see big bucks and you have to cater to your market but I would be just as happy to see them kill does and forkhorns. If you were to hit a bunch of deer camps in this Province you would see game poles with trophy bucks, dinkers and fawns hanging. And every hunter likely proud of what they shot.
    How many posts on social media or forums do we see each year of a successful posting a story and a picture. How often the first sentence goes something like this... "well its not the biggest but...."

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Borderline Spammer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TheProvider00 View Post
    How many posts on social media or forums do we see each year of a successful posting a story and a picture. How often the first sentence goes something like this... "well its not the biggest but...."
    The biggest problem is how do we digest everything- If you're 48 like me, you will view things very differently than someone in their early 20's and just starting out. Hunting is more of a science than thirty years ago- scent control-motorized decoys etc some of the sport is better and some is not. When I first started out any deer was great-as I got older I tried to harvest mature bucks or does and learned about herd balance and deer management philosophies. I have more joy now if I take a couple of nice mallards and my dog works well rather than going out and taking my limit ducks. We progress and mature with time and knowledge. I take my son fishing and hunting- I teach him about seasons and that we are part of the environment and to respect it and to never take too much. That when he harvests a deer, to be thankful to respect the animal and to celebrate. Just none of that fist pumping yahooing and yelling Terms like "Die baby Die" cause if he does he'll be sorry. Be humble in your success and never forget that the memories are the most important thing. Back in the 70's and 80's every musky caught got bonked, today if you keep one fish for the wall and release every other musky you catch in your life there will still be some tool screaming that it must be 100% catch and release even though some lakes have more musky than they can handle, and you end up with stunted fish because the forage base can't support the number of predators. Why? because that is all these young angler and hunters see on tv so they believe it's gospel. It's our job as fathers, uncles and brothers to teach them what it's all about. Sometimes a trip to the library, where there are a plethora of classic hunting and fishing literature from excellent writers from years back that is available can make a great deal of difference as well.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345