Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Thread: Turtle Trapping.

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by maskedburito View Post
    Are you kidding me? An turtle that takes 50 years to replace itself in the population vs a deer that replaces itself in several years? That to me means major differences in harvesting.

I'm honestly shocked that you think that sexual maturity and lifespan don't effect harvest... Basic ecology/biology

You are right there may be some formula to turtle harvest but given the current ecological situation I doubt there is a very sustainable situation. Considering turtle populations are declining without harvest...
    there is no research in ontario to suggest that numbers are dropping... and YES it affects HOW we harvest, but it doesn't mean we CANT

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

I agree that it is better to err on the side of caution. if you had simply said that, i would have agreed, instead you decided that there is no way to have a sustainable harvest because of their lifespan. which isn't true, their lifespan only requires an altered practice, not the abolition of it altogether necessarily.

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

Let's take another example... Moose numbers are down, would you suggest we abolish the hunt? or alter the way it's practice to try and find a healthy medium and sustainable outcome? of course you try and alter things first, you don't jump to "unsustainable" without trying anything else, or gathering proper data.

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flytyermiller View Post
    And for the record, i'm not "just defending my rights" i would gladly take some time off if i found out numbers were down in my area. but the truth is geography plays a big role. Where i trap turtles, my family has been trapping for almost 60 years (literally the traps go in the same spots every year) and we have only seen an increase in size, health and numbers. we believe this to be for two reasons, rising water temps, and lack of turtle trappers. so if our numbers are appreciably rising, how could our trapping not be sustainable here? granted, you have to take my word for it that the numbers seem to be rising here. Which is not to say, that this is the norm, simply our observations.
    I appreciate that, there are groups of hunters who would continue to hunt until the animal is gone. I'm not saying it's impossible for turtle harvest but the science in Ontario shows turtles are at a major decline and are not doing well...

Maybe your lake is doing well, but if you are the only one doing it, maybe it's sustainable. But there is no way turtle harvest can be thought of in the same way as mammal harvest. Each species background biology must be considered.

There are people on this forum who have made comments that lead me to believe they have no understanding of how life span, sexual maturity and biology can play a role in their harvest. Please this is very important and we must all do our part to understand it so hunters have a good image and preserve hunting for future generations.

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

Let's take another example... Moose numbers are down, would you suggest we abolish the hunt? or alter the way it's practice to try and find a healthy medium and sustainable outcome? of course you try and alter things first, you don't jump to "unsustainable" without trying anything else, or gathering proper data.
    I agree with this and the previous comment. Given the current situation because of habitat loss, poaching and road mortality I don't believe turtle harvest should be occurring.

But I agree we shouldn't immediately stop harvest of animals, altering the practice makes sense! But it's too late for turtles....

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

there is no research in ontario to suggest that numbers are dropping... and YES it affects HOW we harvest, but it doesn't mean we CANT
    Are you freakin kidding me.... I will find the research and throw it on here because there is overwhelming research in this province on turtle populations declining.....

I agree with the how and can stuff but seriously... Have you not read a thing on turtles...

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

I do not have time for this rant. Because people here obviously don't read science. Here is a simple article. Even a 1% drop in turtle populations can threaten its population existence.

http://www.ecoissues.ca/Snapping_Tur..._or_Protect%3F

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Why should we limit our harvest of turtles in Ontario when in the USA they harvest at will? Many times on this site I have heard,.. 'why should we limit our production of pollution when China pollutes at will'......... Why is it sometimes what other countries are doing or not doing affects us, and other times it does not matter what other countries are doing....$$$$$$

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567