Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Impact Wrench question?

Elite Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by thunderbolt View Post
    I agree that using an impact ot install lug nuts isn't the best way to do it, unless you use a torque wrench, but who is going to veriify the calibration of your torque wrench? These things do go out of cal fairly regularly...been using them on aircraft for years and all of them need to be calibrated yearly, if not more frequently.
    Everything in aviation gets a yearly recal at least, regardless if it's good or not. I agree they may go out of cal but for home automotive use I wouldn't worry about a little bit out. Now gauges are a different story. Doesn't take too much for the pointer to slip on the shaft, specially on tire gauges that get banged around. I've done the cal on many many hundreds.

Cheers

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Just starting out

User Info Menu

That's just the point though...without a regular schedule for calibration, who's to say when it goes out of cal enough to be an issue? 1 yr, 2 yrs, 5 yrs...Just backing off the setting and storing a torque wrench doesn't guarantee its good.

Mod Squad

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    The bar length for lug nuts put in the vehicle from the factory is designed to give torque numbers very close to that of the factory specs when full weight is applied, very simple but very smart.
    Would that be "full weight" of a 300 pound man or "full weight" for a 120 pound woman? And I wonder what the difference in torque would be if each used the same length bar?
    TS

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Update: used this impact driver to take the snows off my wife's jeep this morning. WOW what a great tool. I think I'm going to carry it in the truck with an inverter and extension cord. Now I'm glad I didn't buy an air gun. Money well spent.
    I’m suspicious of people who don't like dogs, but I trust a dog who doesn't like a person.

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

The only one I see in my flyer is the 3.5 a for 69.99$
    Is this a in store deal..Dutch

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dutchhunter View Post
    The only one I see in my flyer is the 3.5 a for 69.99$
    Is this a in store deal..Dutch
    it was in one of the early March flyers. 7.5 amp 240lbs torque.
    I’m suspicious of people who don't like dogs, but I trust a dog who doesn't like a person.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Does anyone else use the old bar type torque wrenches or do you all count on the click style?. Used electric B&D impact for 15 years and learned to judge 50 ft/lbs pretty close. Now I am only doing my own tires I wouldn't be without an electric impact, when used properly...

Member for Life

User Info Menu

It does lugs just fine

Member for Life

User Info Menu

I have all the tools to do tires but I cant he bothered for the price my shop charges me. $3 a tire. I have them done when its in for an oil change.

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

Mine lasted 6 yrs with the business. I also got it on sale for $59.00 or so at the time.
    Mark Snow, Leader Of The, Ontario Libertarian Party

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast