Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Princess Auto wtf?

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

Every retailer has to make a judgement call on what to do with 'old' stock on hand when costs go up on new stock coming in. The easy thing is leave the price unchanged on stock on hand, which also may boost customer loyalty. However if earnings are under pressure then typically the decision is charge what the market will bear (i.e. Why leave money on the table?). The risk is that customers may find out and get upset -

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Mod Squad

User Info Menu

Gone are the days you could walk into a store a purchase something off the shelf you need at a reasonable price. Nowadays you got to be a planned shopper. Know what you need and shop the sales.
    Time in the outdoors is never wasted

Member for Life

User Info Menu

This stores biggest fault is that they start their sales on TUESDAYS.They will take great pleasure in pointing this out to you on the small print on the front page.Normally you get the flyer a week or so before so remember not to go the following Monday.LOL

Elite Member

User Info Menu

I paid $120 for 7 lures including taxes, duties and shipment. Sound like a lot??
    I never before thought of all my lures as an investment. LOL.

Just starting out

User Info Menu

I can honestly say that most of the increases are due to the dollar. Some prices have also gone down as well on many items. Those are mostly to due to better buying and some are vendors taking a hit just trying to survive. A drop of one cent in value of the Canadian dollar is a loss in the millions for retailers in Canada.

Yes I work for Princess Auto.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rumble_b View Post
    A drop of one cent in value of the Canadian dollar is a loss in the millions for retailers in Canada.
    True but it's hard to rationalize a 50% increase in the retail cost on an item...let alone old stock.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

I don't think all of the price increase is due to the dollar some of it is price gouging. If I can ship an item from the US to Canada for 25 - 50% cheaper than what it is here with the current value of the dollar they should be able to get it cheaper than I do since they are buying in bulk. Some of the online stores like Amazon from the US charge little if any Duty.

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Default Princess Auto wtf?

I do agree that it seems a bit much. There is a possibility it is a mistake. I will look into it tomorrow.

As far as the "old stock" argument, doesn't work like that. It is logistically impossible to adjust the price of an item depending on when it was purchased, brought into the country or into a store. It can't be done. Not on the scale of any retailer that has more than a few stores or a small number of sku's. Not one with 12000 plus items.

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Default Princess Auto wtf?

Quote Originally Posted by greatwhite View Post
    I don't think all of the price increase is due to the dollar some of it is price gouging. If I can ship an item from the US to Canada for 25 - 50% cheaper than what it is here with the current value of the dollar they should be able to get it cheaper than I do since they are buying in bulk. Some of the online stores like Amazon from the US charge little if any Duty.
    Some of it may be and a lot of that has do with the retail market. If one store is able to sell a product for $x then why can't another store sell it for the same. People are buying it so why not. That is how companies make money.

Things in the U.S. Are cheaper for a few reasons. One is size, bulk purchases in Canada are nothing compared to the U.S. Also when your money is US funds you're already ahead. We need to change can to us and that's where it hurts.

Oh and don't forget the cost of running a business in Canada is much more than the U.S.

And for the record, I don't like the price changes. It's a lot of work for me and I shop a lot at princess auto. So it costs me too. But I do like being employed, so I can't win!!!

Member for Life

User Info Menu

High Mountain Jerky currently show as 14.99 on Princes Auto Website

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast