Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New Quebec regs for non residents

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gowbushkon View Post
    Maybe that is why they have moose and we don't.
    I think the lack of shooting cows and calves has a lot more to do with it.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Leads by example

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    Agreed... shooting breeders doesn't make sense. I like that they rotate what is available.

FishFrenzy

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by FishFrenzy View Post
    Agreed... shooting breeders doesn't make sense. I like that they rotate what is available.

FishFrenzy
    2-4 tags per animal is a smart thing too, does every single hunter actually need their own moose?

If we move to a male only and potentially a mature animal only system like many other districts in the world we may be able to bring back the numbers but shooting all the calves and blaming the wolves is not working.

Check out the highways in the QC, they are fenced to keep deer, moose and bears from being hit, really cool idea for busy highways and makes me laugh when I drive in northern Ontario, no cutback even from the ditch there, scary in the spring.

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

I cant imagine hunting a new area like Quebec with-out a guide. It would seem like waste if time & money to hunt a new area & not know your way around. I would hire one even if it wasn't mandatory...

Leads by example

User Info Menu

2-4 tags per animal is a smart thing too, does every single hunter actually need their own moose?

If we move to a male only and potentially a mature animal only system like many other districts in the world we may be able to bring back the numbers but shooting all the calves and blaming the wolves is not working.

Check out the highways in the QC, they are fenced to keep deer, moose and bears from being hit, really cool idea for busy highways and makes me laugh when I drive in northern Ontario, no cutback even from the ditch there, scary in the spring.
    Agreed - I'm open to changing things to ensure we have a sustainable herd. Fencing is up on Hwy 11 on the way up to NorthBay with areas that funnel animals - would love to see that expanded, but I couldn't imagine the costs.

FishFrenzy

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bellerivercrossbowhunter View Post
    I cant imagine hunting a new area like Quebec with-out a guide. It would seem like waste if time & money to hunt a new area & not know your way around. I would hire one even if it wasn't mandatory...
    Lots of guys from the Ottawa river valley drive 30min across the bridge and hunt, a lot closer to home and a lot more knowledge of the hunting area then many of the guys leaving TO and driving 27 hours to hunt in NW Ontario.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by FishFrenzy View Post
    Agreed - I'm open to changing things to ensure we have a sustainable herd. Fencing is up on Hwy 11 on the way up to NorthBay with areas that funnel animals - would love to see that expanded, but I couldn't imagine the costs.

FishFrenzy
    Insurance companies should fund it, that would save them a lot of money.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Ontario has a population of 14 million while Quebec has population of 8 million. Ontario is much more developed in the northern areas of the province compared to Quebec (meaning access) and that translates to a much higher level of stress on any wildlife and fisheries population.
    Quebec also has a substantially larger land base than Ontario and this serves to thin the herd of hunters.
    Last edited by sawbill; April 15th, 2016 at 05:46 PM.

Apprentice

User Info Menu

they shoot cows and calves in Quebec . one year cow or calves. then bull or calves . then bull, cow or calves. but two tags per animal or more depending on area. Then when you use your tag you are done moose hunting its fishing or small game or poker. this system seems to be working better than the non management system of the OMNRF

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sawbill View Post
    Ontario has a population of 14 million while Quebec has population of 8 million. Ontario is much more developed in the northern areas of the province compared to Quebec (meaning access) and that translates to a much higher level of stress on any wildlife and fisheries population.
    Quebec also has a substantially larger land base than Ontario and this serves to thin the herd of hunters.
    How many of those populations actually hunt?
    Over 6 million of those 14 million live in the area of Toronto, how many of those people are hunters?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast