Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011

Thread: Is this a JOKE!!! (bear)

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by skull View Post
    you guys still wasting your time talking about MNR and OFAH
    don't you guys know they have no clue
    Gotta disagree. I've called the OFAH about a dozen times in the last couple years with various questions - some questions were straightforward, others were a little detailed and confusing. I have never NOT gotten a satisfactory response from someone at the OFAH, although I sometimes get bounced around between people. I can't say the same thing about the MNR. The staff at the OFAH are very knowledgeable and much easier to access than anyone at the MNR.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Just starting out

User Info Menu

well it looks like there awake had a visitor this morningWGI_0556.jpg

Apprentice

User Info Menu

***They have changed a few things late in the week.

The OMNRF says if you take 10 spring hunters this year and only shoot 7 bears, you can take the 3 unfilled and book 3 more fore a Fall hunt.

Outfitters can thank Laurie Marcil of NOTO for her hard work and this change in their stance.

Actually, spring is the best for determining breeding females Especially when accompanied by yearlings. I tell my hunters, cubs of the year or yearlings, don't shoot the mom.

I saw a yearling a couple of days ago that was almost the same size as the mother bear.
    Last edited by chris lavoie; May 13th, 2016 at 11:33 PM.

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

Out of curiosity, why don't you let them shoot a female that has yearlings with her?

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dude Bro View Post
    Out of curiosity, why don't you let them shoot a female that has yearlings with her?

because its against the law!! ?

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by maximum chaos View Post
    because its against the law!! ?
    Either the video that OFAH posted on the regulation changes or the ASK a CO question in the magazine said that yearling bears are not considered cubs and you would not be breaking the law by shooting the sow.

I didn't dream this up - I know I heard/read it somewhere.
    Things that fly turn me on

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

You are not allowed to shoot a sow with her yearlings. It does not matter if they are a year old, they will not survive on their own.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Skull, studies done right here in Sudbury have proved that to be incorrect. The study was done by Cambrian college in conjunction with MNR quite a few years ago but you will never see the results as the program was run by an anti and the results were certainly not what they expected or wanted.
    The study encompassed about 70 orphaned cubs and there was no more mortality than that experienced with cubs denned with their mother.

Apprentice

User Info Menu

The OMNRF wants us ( outfitters) to shoot only 20% breeding age females and 40 percent female overall. Having a mom and last years cubs with her is a great way to know she is breeding age. We passed a mother bear with 1 yearling cub yesterday.

Apprentice

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by toddy View Post
    Either the video that OFAH posted on the regulation changes or the ASK a CO question in the magazine said that yearling bears are not considered cubs and you would not be breaking the law by shooting the sow.

I didn't dream this up - I know I heard/read it somewhere.
    Toddy is correct!!

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011