Thread: Morels in North Bay area?

Borderline Spammer

User Info Menu

Default Morels in North Bay area?

Just new to mushroom hunting. I have been watching lots of videos on Morels but they all seem to be Southern Ontario. Has anyone ever found Black Morels in the North Bay - Sudbury area?

Thanks,

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

Yes YouTube has one guy in that area. I am in Ottawa have not found them yet. However, in Brockville this weekend, I found a mother load (white) and one stray black morel. I have learned gardening zones play a factor growth cycles, and Brockville is two zones North of Ottawa where I am hunting them. Soil temp needs to 52F or above, and once this is achieved, then usually a good rain (like we had this weekend) brings them out. I used a big batch of morels with wild leeks and garlic as the topping on steak this weekend. The other half, my buddy who is the head chef Chateau Laurie did an olive oil, butter, garlic, sea salt and thyme mushroom gravy. It was amazing. In my quest to learn this skill over the winter and thru my buddy I learned a whole "wild edible pickers" exist in Ottawa and supply the high end diners with this produce, while in season. The leeks like other have said are quite fragrant, but lose most of that during frying.
    Mark Snow, Leader Of The, Ontario Libertarian Party

Borderline Spammer

User Info Menu

Thanks I will have to check out Youtube. I have been keeping my eye open for them. I find this year things are really late and I guess with morels like other mushrooms timing is everything.

You got love eating wild stuff. Really odd but it always tastes much better than store bought stuff.

How long does morel season last? Seems puffballs you got to be right on them when they are ready.

Just starting out

User Info Menu

[COLOR=#333333]You got love eating wild stuff. Really odd but it always tastes much better than store bought stuff. X2

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Morels need a certain amount of heat before they pop. From what I remember it is the collective sum of days which temperatures are over a certain degree, forget the exact details but it can be found through a search on google. They should be in that area though I've never hunted shrooms up your way. As for the season it can last a few weeks if the conditions are favorable but as quick as they can show they can disappear ( due to crap conditions ). I only have a few morel spots and the greatly differ, one is an elm forest while the other two are on grassy, rocky outcrops of a river in a coniferous forest. They do have a strong association with fruit trees but I've never found any in my years of searching - also note that orchards often spray with pesiticides which will find a way into your mushroom so be aware, this also holds true for mushrooms found on lawns. Happy hunting.

Borderline Spammer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Baha View Post
    [COLOR=#333333]You got love eating wild stuff. Really odd but it always tastes much better than store bought stuff. X2
    It is funny it does taste better..........odd.

Thanks for the info Trout.