Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coons = Denied, Coon proof update

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Default Coons = Denied, Coon proof update

Went out to check my coon proof bait yesterday. Only had one set of coon visits and all the pics looked like this:

I also put a new camera up as my existing cameras don't take video (7 year old bullet proof reconyx that i splurged on after getting sick of replacing 100 to 200 dollar cameras every 2 or 3 years. I have 2 of them and they both work the same as new and have taken upmteen 1000 pics in all seasons). So next update will hopefully include video.

Momma and the 3 cubs are back and should be pretty entertaining on video. Here is how the cubs looked in spring:

And now:

Momma is decent size as well. For reference the bottom of the barrel is 40 inches off the ground:

This is my target bear:

I also discovered that the bait is so dense and sticky that it does not gravity feed at all resulting in 80% stuck up in the barrel and the bears not being able to get at it. I greatly enlarged the access holes and hopefully the bears will be able to work it enough to solve the problem. Did not have my sawzall with me so improvised with a hole saw on the drill:

Also had one acrobat that i think was a pine marten but not sure. On the barrel:

Last edited by Species8472; August 30th, 2020 at 05:24 PM.
    They say a man turns old when sorrow and regret take the place of hope and dreams

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Mod Squad

User Info Menu

Awesome right up, thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

It's awesome when ideas like this work out! I'm sure with time you'll have an awesome system, and maybe others can learn from your experiment.

I'm curious how long it will take those coons to come up with a plan. Soon they will be whittling stilts from saplings and crawling inside the barrel.

Leads by example

User Info Menu

Looking good. That target bear is a beauty!!

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Thanks for the report, update, looking forward to reading more
    Good luck
    "Everything is easy when you know how"
    "Meat is not grown in stores"

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Very nice what are you using for bait?
    "This is about unenforceable registration of weapons that violates the rights of people to own firearms."—Premier Ralph Klein (Alberta)Calgary Herald, 1998 October 9 (November 1, 1942 – March 29, 2013)

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by greatwhite View Post
    Very nice what are you using for bait?
    Factory second raspberry pomegranate grain/granola bars
    They say a man turns old when sorrow and regret take the place of hope and dreams

Has all the answers

User Info Menu

Sweet set up......I just got back from Burks Falls. All 10 barrels were empty when I arrived. This is looking to be a great hunt in a few weeks.
    Guns have two enemies................rust and government

Has all the answers

User Info Menu

Great post. How long have they been active on the bait? I feel like that granola bait must last a long time since it's heavy and filling.
    A trophy is in the eye of the bow holder

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by LowbanksArcher View Post
    Great post. How long have they been active on the bait? I feel like that granola bait must last a long time since it's heavy and filling.
    Put the bait out on the 23rd. Bears started hitting it the 25th. Stuff is very heavy. Barrel is +/- 500 lbs when full.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast