Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Finally

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Default Finally

Ok... Iím completely stoked to FINALLY have some results. Iím going to share how Iíve gotten to where I am now.
    After two weeks since my last bear pic I changed things up. I continuously scouted and found a spot I thought was a good spot ( first bear hunt and relatively novice hunter at the age of 46 ).
    In two weeks of ground baiting this new spot ( small amount approx 5 gallon bucket at a time carried in maybe 1-2 kilometres ) there was nothing but raccoons, foxes, martens, squirrels and blue jays. No bears. Not one. I have also been experimenting with bait options. I bought some bear scent from Canadian Tire and that night and even during daylight I had my target bear show up. Completely stoked. C1517B66-1447-466E-A296-1E07FCF57F9C.jpgBE5D9CDF-ACDC-41AF-A14B-E4C201CD3306.jpg57F5241B-C373-4DFE-9476-57CA936B5F4B.jpgCF9DFD52-2508-4608-8FCE-637F1857EA5F.jpg
    The last pic is of a product called Blood Line that I put in a spray bottle. This bear was ALL over those bear scents ( the first two pics ).
    94E4F5DE-90B9-4ECF-B5AE-2F948C1B8E38.jpg
    He stayed for HOURS. He laid down and took his time.
    As I mentioned he came out during daylight ( like 9-10 am. I will add the pic as Iím at the limit right now for this post ).
    Ok. Now what I am using for bait.
    This was WAYYYY easier to get started than I ever thought possible. I went to a local grocery store ( big chain store ) and asked the bakery manager what they do with the expired product. Apparently it gets shipped out every day at the start of shift. As long as I donít let it sit there all day I could have whatever they are getting rid of. Now a lot of it is bread but that turned out to be a huge benefit. You wouldnít believe the amount that goes out every day ( soooo many cakes too ). Point is all I had to do was ask and as soon as I asked the manager knew it was for bear bait.
    So....
    In a 5 gallon bucket I fill about 1/3-1/2 with bread. Then a couple of scoops of rolled oats, dried corn and cheap dog food ( all from TSC ). I then add the sweets from the bakery. Fill the rest with bread. I then pour the Moultrie raspberry liquid over the top and add 1.5-2 litres of water. I mix it with a small snowblower shovel ( works awesome). I recently adapted my backpack to carry the bucket ( soooo much easier than stretching the arms ).
    Without adding the bear scents it would only be the other critters coming in ( the raccoon/marten chases were hilarious). I swear by that stuff and the results could be coincidence but who knows.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Last edited by firedeptlt; May 24th, 2020 at 06:31 AM.

Just starting out

User Info Menu

The big thing with a ground bait pile I find is to build a three sided box with natural logs with the fourth side open on the side you want the bear to come in on. Cover the bait with logs to attempt to keep the critters out.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Are you archery or rifle? With archery and a crib you should place a log in such a manner that he has to raise his leg to access the bait thereby exposing the rib cage. Otherwise you end up having to shoot through that heavy muscled and boned front quarter and an arrow ain't gonna do it and get the full penetration you need.

Just starting out

User Info Menu

I am archery. The rule of thumb I am following for my shot placement as it was explained to me for a double lung is " middle of the middle plus a hand width forward of that. "

Leads by example

User Info Menu

Looking good. We start to hunt in a week from now. Baits are rocking and I can't wait!!! Lol

Apprentice

User Info Menu

Looks like a big bear, good luck!

Just starting out

User Info Menu

oh i don't know if that bear will cut it. how about sending the GPS coordinates in a PM and I will take care of for you

In all seriousness, I may misunderstand your original post. Is it 4 weeks you were baiting in the same area? or 2 weeks then moved to a new spot and 2 more weeks.
    Last edited by cb750; May 26th, 2020 at 08:25 PM.

Has all the answers

User Info Menu

Great looking bear and story
    Guns have two enemies................rust and government

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast