Thread: Sinking tip vs full sinking line

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Default Sinking tip vs full sinking line

I have been looking for a #6 weight sinking tip line for the last little bit and no one seems to have them. Are they such an anomaly? I am relatively new to fly fishing and have been using my floating line well enough, but I do a fair bit of pond and lake fishing and thought it would be a good line to add as an option for my rig. I have a reel that has interchangeable spools. Or do most people just go with a full sinking line?

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Leads by example

User Info Menu

It all depends on how deep you are trying to get your fly down too. A floating line with a sinking tip will get done to 6 ft or so. The nice thing about a sinking tip line, it is much easier to pick up off the water and make another cast opposed to stripping in almost the entire line to get it out of the water prior to making the next cast or getting it in far enough to make a roll cast to get the line up.
    SkyBlue Big Game Blueticks

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Another option would be to buy a sink tip for the floating line you already use. Most fly shops will carry them in different length between 5' and 20' with various sinking rates. They are cost effective and fairly easy to use, attach to your fly line via loop to loop conection and add 3-6 feet of tippet to the end of your sink tip then your streamer. For example i fish a 5' sink tip with a sink rate of 5" per second to swing streamers for trout and it suits my needs quite well. I have no experience with full sink line but i would assume it would be ideal in situation where you need to get your fly fairly deep. There are also intermediate sink lines that will only sink to a certain deprh and not any further.

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Healthy Hunter View Post
    I have been looking for a #6 weight sinking tip line for the last little bit and no one seems to have them. Are they such an anomaly? I am relatively new to fly fishing and have been using my floating line well enough, but I do a fair bit of pond and lake fishing and thought it would be a good line to add as an option for my rig. I have a reel that has interchangeable spools. Or do most people just go with a full sinking line?
    You will probably have to order one in special. I see your in the GTA, so try Bass Pro first. No reason they shouldn't be able to order you one in. If not ask Tom at Angling Specialties in Concord, he will have no problem getting you one. No one around here carries them in as regular stock because there is not enough demand for them.

Brookie

“In the Bible it says, 'God made man in his own image.' He made women after from a rib—a cheaper cut.” ——-. Archie Bunker:

Equal pay

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0rhuKmC0Cw
    Last edited by Brookie; June 9th, 2016 at 06:15 AM.

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

Try Drift Outfitters in Toronto, They are in the old Wilson's store at 199 queen st, east. They specialize in fly fishing.

Rich.
    Wild steelhead are gifts from the river gods and are to be respected and handled as little as possible.

Has all the answers

User Info Menu

You can get down fairly deep with a sink tip. I use a 200gr. sink tip on my 5wt. and have fished that down nearly 20' with a short leader and a bit of split shot on the nose of the streamer. (or a bead-head/dumbell eye streamer) They're easier to use than full sinkers. I have a full-sinking line for my 4wt. but as mentioned, they're no fun to pick-up and re-cast. I consider full sinkers best for trolling in a straight line.

However, look around...any line is available ONLINE. Check Rob Heal's new place out in Fergus, First Cast in Guelph, etc. They'd be my first choices.

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

Love to shop local but sometimes things just aren’t available at your local store. I find amazon has a vast variety of fly fishing equipment you can choose from. You shouldn’t have an issue with finding the right weight. A sinking tip is great idea for you to cover more water and will making casting easier. Hope this helps.
    Henry - Legend Boats

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Lots of good info given above. I also use an extra fast sinking poly leader (10 Ft) at the end of my WF floating line. Using a weighted fly I can get down between 8-12 ft with multiple upstream mends. I have used this method to catch many steelhead in the Notty once the roe fishermen have left. Iuse a rabbit strip weighted wooly bugger(purple) with great results. I throw an 8 wt line on a 101/2 ft rod. I also toss unweighed yarn flies the same way. Workes like a charm and very eazsy to attach andlift for the cast. Here's alink to the leader,
    http://www.cabelas.com/product/Airfl...er%26CQ_st%3Db

There are other brands available in shorter lengths.

Mud

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Healthy Hunter View Post
    Have a look at lines by Northern Sport Fishing online, bargain prices at a fraction of the cost when compared to popular brands and cost effective shipping rates to boot.

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

Reviving a really old thread here...Ive used a lot of their products and loved them all.

100FT Weight Forward Sinking Fly Fishing Line w/ Exposed Loop

[COLOR=#666666]

http://www.fishingsir.com/100ft-weig...osed-loop.html