Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Non support of modern firearms owners.

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

Default Non support of modern firearms owners.

I recently became aware that an OFAH senior member at the Ottawa Sportsman Show made slanted comments towards modern firearms. More specifically, he is quoted as saying
    "everything was fine until you people started bring this sort of thing into the woods"
    in reference to black rifles while in the CCFR booth there. Black rifles are the future of hunting, and OFAH insures a number of gun clubs including handgun clubs. I think this mentality has to be addressed in the upper levels of OFAH. It is absolutely unacceptable. We don't drive Model T's anymore, and our firearms have evolved similarly. My Robinson Arms XCR functions no differently than the average wood stocked Remington 7600. OFAH needs to support ALL members, and hunters/shooters as a whole.

263636_234147923390917_1300562231_n.jpgIMG_00000378.jpgIMG_3175.jpgIMAG1319.jpg

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Talk about a DA statement. I don't currently own a "BLACK GUN", but it only because I am not into compition shooting. If they where allowed for hunting, I would have one I am sure. But just because I don't own one does not mean I would say they are not needed, or should not be allowed.

If you let people chip away at a small part of our sport just because it is not your part of the sport, how long before they are going to get around to stopping you from enjoying your part of the sport.
    Take the warning labels off. Darwin will solve the problem.

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tactical870 View Post
    I recently became aware that an OFAH senior member at the Ottawa Sportsman Show made slanted comments towards modern firearms. More specifically, he is quoted as saying in reference to black rifles while in the CCFR booth there. Black rifles are the future of hunting, and OFAH insures a number of gun clubs including handgun clubs. I think this mentality has to be addressed in the upper levels of OFAH. It is absolutely unacceptable. We don't drive Model T's anymore, and our firearms have evolved similarly. My Robinson Arms XCR functions no differently than the average wood stocked Remington 7600. OFAH needs to support ALL members, and hunters/shooters as a whole.
    What do you mean? Do they kill better than traditional rifles?
    Last edited by seabast; May 30th, 2016 at 09:36 AM.

Post-a-holic

User Info Menu

As far as I'm concerned if it legal you can do whatever you want, some are old school and they will not change.
    I have both, to each his own.

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Snowwalker View Post
    Talk about a DA statement. I don't currently own a "BLACK GUN", but it only because I am not into compition shooting. If they where allowed for hunting, I would have one I am sure. But just because I don't own one does not mean I would say they are not needed, or should not be allowed.

If you let people chip away at a small part of our sport just because it is not your part of the sport, how long before they are going to get around to stopping you from enjoying your part of the sport.
    Actually, there are many black rifles that are non restricted in Canada. I've hunted with a Robinson Arms XCR in 6.8 SPC for over 5 years. I own far more blued and wood stocked guns than black rifles, but their ergonomics make them appeal to me.

Quote Originally Posted by seabast View Post
    What do you mean? Do they kill better than traditional rifles?
    Not at all. And therein lies the problem. Although they have a more modern cosmetic look and may be more ergonomic, they function essentially the same as any wooden stocked, blued, semi automatic hunting rifle. So why the hatred, and lack of support for this part of the firearms community?

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Who says you can't use them for hunting? If they're not restricted or prohibited,who cares? Each to their own. Given the current anti-firearms political climate,we better be in lock step with hunters that own and use them,too,or we'll simply be giving the Liberals more ammo to use against us.
    Last edited by trimmer21; May 30th, 2016 at 09:57 AM.

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

So why the hatred, and lack of support for this part of the firearms community?
    Because they look like war weapon, not hunting guns, and pretty ugly.... And I'm not talking about the regular black stock and forearm rifle (I own a couple) I'm talking about the one in the pictures. I personally don't like them but I will support them because we are all in the same boat so we better support each other.

Mod Squad

User Info Menu

My Robinson Arms XCR functions no differently than the average wood stocked Remington 7600.
    Just for the record. Your XCR functions quite a bit differently from a Remington 7600, since it's a pump. I'm sure you meant 740 or 7400.
    "Camo" is perfectly acceptable as a favorite colour.

Proud member - Delta Waterfowl, CSSA, and OFAH

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebulldog View Post
    Just for the record. Your XCR functions quite a bit differently from a Remington 7600, since it's a pump. I'm sure you meant 740 or 7400.
    Ugh. Caught me there. I was thinking 742/740/7400.

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by seabast View Post
    Because they look like war weapon, not hunting guns, and pretty ugly.... And I'm not talking about the regular black stock and forearm rifle (I own a couple) I'm talking about the one in the pictures. I personally don't like them but I will support them because we are all in the same boat so we better support each other.
    Lets not forget the Lee Enfield bolt action rifles were weapons of war too. Things evolve with time. Regardless, your support is appreciated.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast