Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Non support of modern firearms owners.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tactical870 View Post
    Actually, there are many black rifles that are non restricted in Canada. I've hunted with a Robinson Arms XCR in 6.8 SPC for over 5 years. I own far more blued and wood stocked guns than black rifles, but their ergonomics make them appeal to me.
    The term "black gun" is use to mean normally one on the restricted list...
    But if colour is all that matters. ...I have a lot of black guns...
    Take the warning labels off. Darwin will solve the problem.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Darn straight as long as it's legal I should be able to hunt with any of my guns

Last edited by MikePal; June 10th, 2016 at 01:30 PM.

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Snowwalker View Post
    The term "black gun" is use to mean normally one on the restricted list...
    But if colour is all that matters. ...I have a lot of black guns...
    I hunt with lots of non conventional stuff. Robinson Arms XCR in 6.8 SPC for large game, Tavor for coyotes, Beretta CX4 for small game. I've deer hunted with a CZ858 before as well.

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

I hunt with lots of non conventional stuff. Robinson Arms XCR in 6.8 SPC for large game, Tavor for coyotes, Beretta CX4 for small game. I've deer hunted with a CZ858 before as well.
    And why not? If it's legal to do so and adds to your personal enjoyment of the hunt it shouldn't be a problem. Hunters/shooters who speak out in public against other forms of hunting and shooting do a disservice to us all.

Hiding "scary" guns only makes the general public more jumpy when they're seen in the field. If it was a more common thing to see modern firearms in the field it wouldn't be so alarming when they're seen.

Most non-hunters I know are more curious about guns than afraid. Most would probably love to spend and afternoon on the range burning off a few boxes of ammo with a gun that looks like something they've only seen in the movies. We should all take an intrigued "fence sitter" out shooting when we get the chance. Can't see there being too many occasions where someone would come away from that with anything other than a more practical view of the firearms they handled.
    "where a man feels at home, outside of where he's born, is where he's meant to go"
    ​- Ernest Hemingway

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

Did you talk to the OFAH about this? What did they have to say?

I recently became aware that an OFAH senior member at the Ottawa Sportsman Show made slanted comments towards modern firearms. More specifically, he is quoted as saying in reference to black rifles while in the CCFR booth there. Black rifles are the future of hunting, and OFAH insures a number of gun clubs including handgun clubs. I think this mentality has to be addressed in the upper levels of OFAH. It is absolutely unacceptable. We don't drive Model T's anymore, and our firearms have evolved similarly. My Robinson Arms XCR functions no differently than the average wood stocked Remington 7600. OFAH needs to support ALL members, and hunters/shooters as a whole.

Attachment 32997Attachment 32999Attachment 33000Attachment 32998

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by seabast View Post
    Because they look like war weapon, not hunting guns, and pretty ugly.... And I'm not talking about the regular black stock and forearm rifle (I own a couple) I'm talking about the one in the pictures. I personally don't like them but I will support them because we are all in the same boat so we better support each other.
    Unlike yourself I like them, own several (and shoot them often), but I do not hunt with them. Not because of their functionality but because they are too expensive to be slugging around in the rain and crap. There are other (cheaper) options when it comes to that application (ie) hunting guns.

But I agree with your post that we need to support each other - If they come after my 'black' guns today they will come after your 870 tomorrow.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12