Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone own a yammie?

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rick_iles View Post
    Trade it in on an etec !!!
    No I fixed the yam. went merc
    I LOVE COMING HERE. WHAT OTHER GUN/OUTDOOR FORUM CAN YOU BE GUARANTEED GRAMMAR LESSONS ?

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by standup View Post
    4 strokes?
    Small engines are two strokes (8-25hp) and the larger engines (50-115hp) are 4 strokes.

In my personal life, I have the most experience with Johnson/Evinrudes and am happy with them, but my work life is far more demanding and and far harder on the engines. I had an Etec at work but got rid of it after a couple years because it was under powered and constantly having issues. I did run a Merc for a year (put about 700 hours on it) and it was ok with regular maintenance, but the more experienced guides at that lodge we're not fans of them. They all to a man said they liked the Honda or Yamaha engines better that they'd used previously, and the owner of the lodge said those brands had less problems over the Mercs.
    Last edited by blasted_saber; July 9th, 2016 at 05:15 PM.

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by blasted_saber View Post
    Small engines are two strokes (8-25hp) and the larger engines (50-115hp) are 4 strokes.
    Ya exactly. Get into their small 4's and watch your world flip. I just came back from a lodge of 32 boats. Four with new yam 4's on them for the guides and the rest with various 2's on them. When you were having your "GUIDE DAY" which they wanted you to have to learn the place. The guide would always find an excuse to not take his yam 4 . "OH YOU GOT STUFF ALREADY IN YOUR BOAT,TOO MUCH HASSLE TO SWITCH" etc etc . BULL. He had a high back padded in his boat but instead chose sitting on tin. I think from what I saw coming home with a soar A55 was less hassle to him than not coming home
    I LOVE COMING HERE. WHAT OTHER GUN/OUTDOOR FORUM CAN YOU BE GUARANTEED GRAMMAR LESSONS ?

Apprentice

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by standup View Post

DON'T EVER HAVE AN ISSUE. IT WILL CHANGE YOUR OPINION JIG FAST. Not a single head service tech in my area will even try to deal with them. They'd rather just get you into another brand. The other half of the dealers that were yam are now NOT
    This. Yamaha Canada is a joke when it comes to dealing with warranty issues if they come up. They still make a decent motor, but you'd have an easier time of getting a politician to admit to the truth than having yamaha Canada stand behind a warranty claim.

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by diverduck View Post
    This. Yamaha Canada is a joke when it comes to dealing with warranty issues if they come up. They still make a decent motor, but you'd have an easier time of getting a politician to admit to the truth than having yamaha Canada stand behind a warranty claim.
    one might say they don't give a sweet f

Apprentice

User Info Menu

Yep, my buddy went through nightmares with em. It was enough to turn me off buying from them again, and this is from a guy who owns a yamaha quad and outboard. They make a good product, but on the off chance something does to wrong your on your own. I'll look at honda next!

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by diverduck View Post
    Yep, my buddy went through nightmares with em. It was enough to turn me off buying from them again, and this is from a guy who owns a yamaha quad and outboard. They make a good product, but on the off chance something does to wrong your on your own. I'll look at honda next!
    Exactly. You look how it was built compared to merc and man you were some proud to say "HEY I OWN THAT" . Fit and finish and function were perfect, UNTIL. Glitch one, then F**KED

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

I've owned a Yamaha F40 for 4 years now and I couldn't tell you what it's like to deal with them on a warranty issue. It's run great since the day I brought it home. I wouldn't hesitate on buying any yamaha in the future.

Tony

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gonduckin View Post
    I've owned a Yamaha F40 for 4 years now and I couldn't tell you what it's like to deal with them on a warranty issue. It's run great since the day I brought it home. I wouldn't hesitate on buying any yamaha in the future.

Tony
    That's pretty much what we've been saying. Save and except service

Has all the answers

User Info Menu

I honestly have never heard of anyone that had issues with yamahas my F30 has run flawless it has a minor vibration when you use the VTS that is solved by trimming up the motor about 1".

Its possible you got a bad unbalanced prop out of the box thats not in plum did you change props. 99% of motor vibration in the tiller comes from the prop.

I have a 20hp yamaha tiller that has 17 years of use and thousands of hours on it thats never gave me any issues but i maintain my equipment and run nothing but high test in it

Good luck with your merc !!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast