Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Re-powered

Apprentice

User Info Menu

Just a "follow-up" to my original post . --- In the mean-time I've "put" ~ 90 hrs. on the motor and couldn't be more satisfied (with it) . --- After some experimentation : Mounting-height , different props etc. the performance-level increased as well . --- The "hole-shot" is impressive and top-speed hovers around 46.2 clicks . --- Consumption (fuel and oil) is negligible . Fewer fumes than a 4-cycle (as certified by State-agencies in California and Europe) . --- Whisper-quiet . --- "One-pull-starts" . --- *** --- I'm in love (with that engine) .--- LOL !

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Monks View Post
    90 was on my first boat, sold it bought another with a 150. Sold that boat and bought a bigger one. Pretty simple why so many

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    that's what I thought, I have a 40 mariner (yamaha built) on my aluminium older runabout...I would like some 50 e tec pop on that thing lol
    Last edited by Camp Red Maple; September 30th, 2016 at 05:18 PM.

Borderline Spammer

User Info Menu

Proctor Marine in Simcoe has my 2009 50hp ETEC I traded in on the new one, has a little over 300 hrs on it. They said the expected life is about 1000 hrs. Bit of a drive from you. It's a bolt on install. They gave me $3000 trade in value.

Apprentice

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by be2man View Post
    Proctor Marine in Simcoe has my 2009 50hp ETEC I traded in on the new one, has a little over 300 hrs on it. They said the expected life is about 1000 hrs. Bit of a drive from you. It's a bolt on install. They gave me $3000 trade in value.
    An 09 with ONLY 300hrs. ? That's barely broken-in . --- Are you sure you need a new motor ? I'm baffled . --- Since June 6. I've put ~ 90 hrs. on mine . --- According to many reports , as well as outboard-mechanics , they'll last more than 3000 hrs. . --- How could an "ethical" dealer feed you crap like this ?

Borderline Spammer

User Info Menu

I didn't need a new motor. I wanted a new motor. The 50hp was originally on a 16' boat and maxed the HP rating, moved it up to an 18' boat with a max hp rating of 70HP. Just got a new 18' boat and figured I'd upgrade the motor too. I've liked the ETEC but they don't make and 70 and the 75 is over the boat's rating.
    So short story long went with the 60HO.
    The dealer has been selling boats and motors for over 60 years. He wasn't trying to sell me a new motor. I'd just asked how many hours you can typically get on a motor before you'd anticipate some more major work needed. Would've been another 14 years with my rate of use
    Sorry to baffle you.
    Last edited by be2man; September 30th, 2016 at 09:35 PM.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

I've only seen one issue (mechanical) with any of the 4 strokes. It was a OEM powerhead that was bad from the factory.
    It was replaced under warranty.

The other complaints were from leaving fuel in the system for periods of time. Mostly just hard starts after a week or two of setting up.
    Never any problem when used weekly. All were larger motors generally 150 up and on tournament rigs.

Lots of Hondas, Evinrudes and Mercs in use back home and most wouldn't go back to the 2 strokes.

I think you will be well pleased. Perhaps consider the fuel retention/gumming or whatever when leaving it idle/stored for periods of time, maybe ask dealer or research internet. Most, as far as I know simply run the fuel out if it is to be unused for over a week.

Sounds like you have thought things out and have everything setup well to optimize hull/ motor performance. now enjoy!

Apprentice

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by skypilot View Post
    I've only seen one issue (mechanical) with any of the 4 strokes. It was a OEM powerhead that was bad from the factory.
    It was replaced under warranty.

The other complaints were from leaving fuel in the system for periods of time. Mostly just hard starts after a week or two of setting up.
    Never any problem when used weekly. All were larger motors generally 150 up and on tournament rigs.

Lots of Hondas, Evinrudes and Mercs in use back home and most wouldn't go back to the 2 strokes.

I think you will be well pleased. Perhaps consider the fuel retention/gumming or whatever when leaving it idle/stored for periods of time, maybe ask dealer or research internet. Most, as far as I know simply run the fuel out if it is to be unused for over a week.

Sounds like you have thought things out and have everything setup well to optimize hull/ motor performance. now enjoy!
    What are you talking about , pilot ? --- be2man purchased a 2-stroke ! --- 60HO stands for 60 HP High output (that's an Evinrude E-Tec) . --- Before criticizing any type of engine you should know enough to warrant it . --- Generally speaking , most modern outboards tend to be GOOD ; however , some are better than others . The E-Tec is one of them !

Apprentice

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by skypilot View Post

Most, as far as I know simply run the fuel out if it is to be unused for over a week.
    --- *** --- Another thing I should've mentioned : You don't "run a fuel-injected-system " dry ; even if the unit is "parked" for the winter-hibernation . It's a completely sealed system with NO access to air . --- Just add a sufficient amount of fuel-stabilizer (to the tank) and run the engine for ~ 10 minutes . THEN "winterize" the engine (which the E-Tec does automatically if you employ the proper procedure) . --- It takes less than 5 minutes . --- Needless to mention that this is only necessary if the engine is laid-up for a long time .

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Sorry, I misread the OP.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12