View Poll Results: Have you ever eaten or do you plan on eating squirrel?

Voters
109. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

70 64.22%
  • No

39 35.78%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Polling our readers - August

Member for Life

User Info Menu

We have hundreds of red squirrels that kill young nest bound birds but are too small to bother cleaning. A few blacks that I hope will multiply except that my neighbour loves their taste too......
    The flying squirrels are just too cute to kill.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Member for Life

User Info Menu

There is a Grey on my bird feeder eating freely and getting to be the size of a cat; he is little aware of the bigger plan. I'm hoping for 4lbs of meat for the crock pot

Apprentice

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MikePal View Post
    There is a Grey on my bird feeder eating freely and getting to be the size of a cat; he is little aware of the bigger plan. I'm hoping for 4lbs of meat for the crock pot
    You should name him "Kenmore" or "Fridgidaire". That's what my grandpa would do... all the farm animals were names after the appliances that would someday contain them...

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MikePal View Post
    Can you take a picture of that 4lb Grey, that would be one fat squirrel.

Borderline Spammer

User Info Menu

I plan on eating Eastern Grey Squirrel -- as soon as they move out of the city and I get a season for them.

Has all the answers

User Info Menu

I collected 1/2 doz a few years back (never ate them before) and roasted them whole. Put them on a serving plate in front of a group of non-hunters. You should have seen their faces. Unfortunately they were very tough. I either over cooked them or cooked them without liquid.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Roper View Post
    I collected 1/2 doz a few years back (never ate them before) and roasted them whole. Put them on a serving plate in front of a group of non-hunters. You should have seen their faces. Unfortunately they were very tough. I either over cooked them or cooked them without liquid.
    Slow roast with liquid, very similar to rabbit.

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Roper View Post
    A week in the fridge should help too.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12