G-day fellas just wondering if anybody ever hunted this erea
    any feedback ?
    Thanks

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Member for Life

User Info Menu

I sent a PM to rf2 during the week on this topic so I cut and pasted it below to share the info.

Hi Rob...I read your PM just as I was heading into town so I figured I would pop by the MNR and ask if there was any special provisions. The parking lot was full and lined out the door...so I will have to try again next week. I don't want to give you wrong info so I also popped by the Ferguson Forrest/ WoodLot office, since they control the area. As luck would have it they are closed on Fridays...it seems to me they have an instruction sheet now for the hunters, but I may be wrong. I'll be in town Mon morning, so I can pop in an ask.

I hunted there back in the days when the township controlled the 'cull' and it was done thru the township offices. I did stop in there this morning, but they knew nothing of it.. so I don't think that is the way anymore.

As far as hunting there it is a bit of a challenge due to the fact you really couldn't set up a stand/blind in advance of the hunt, so you're basically left with walk/stalk hunting...which is fun and there are lots of open field surrounded by bush for places to hide.

We went in as a group (6 people) and basically did a 'push' for 3 days of the week. A few hunters at one end and a few guys walked and 'dogged' the bush. We had good success and shot 2 Bucks in the 3 days.

It's a fabulous opportunity and lots of deer, but luck plays a big factor, to be able to be in the right place at the right time...which is what most of hunting is all about eh !!

The woodlot is open year round (still I think) with public access so you can go anytime and scout out the hunt area. Look for trails etc and you get a pretty good idea of how to set up the hunt for opening morning. It is a worthy challenge and some guys do really well there.
    I'm going back into town on Mon and will try to get more info on the logistics and will post it here...

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Thanks Mike, i drive by there alot in the fall n winter always see alot of walkers hikers ( never pulled in) there has been a hunt in there for a while was thinkin of buying a tag on wensday and giving it a try

Member for Life

User Info Menu

As far as a RECCE goes, this was a successful endeavour and informative.

Meet with the two CO’s that run the Enforcement Division at their office in the MNR here in Kemptville and had a nice chat with them. In all fairness, as they are both new to the area, neither of them had previously any knowledge of the 66B Bow hunt opportunity with the additional tags. Hopefully I haven’t opened a can of worms by bringing it to their attention.

Results, basically WMU 66B is considered “Crown/Public Land” and is open to hunt like any other in the province and restrictions, like township discharge rules apply and private property respected.

Today I meet up with the primary tenant on the crown land, Ed Patchell COO for the Ferguson Forest Centre . He’s runs the forestry there. The great news is, he happily welcomes hunters, provides permission to retrieve came etc in those areas where they have trees growing. He will even open gates to allow access to retrieve deer etc with your truck.

There is a map of the Forest provided by the friends of Forest; it delineates most of the important info on trails etc that the people hike/walk daily. They are not stopped or discourage from using the trails during the hunt, however Mr. Patchell puts up signs informing that there is a Hunt in progress on the Crown land.

Map.. http://www.friendsofthefergusonfores...2596069471.pdf

I did not speak with the owners of the Golf Club at the North/West corner about retrieved deer on the course if required, but may touch base with them this summer.

So for guys who want to give it a go, it’s a great opportunity and do-able with a good RECCE of the forest area, especially on the North End..hint hint.
    Last edited by MikePal; July 13th, 2016 at 03:54 AM.

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Great information. But just for clarification, it seems that the only hunting allowed in 66B is one week of bow hunting for deer between Nov 14 and 19 (this year). Are you saying that small game hunting is allowed during the regular seasons just like any other WMU? Or is there a township discharge bylaw that prevents this?

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rf2 View Post
    Are you saying that small game hunting is allowed during the regular seasons just like any other WMU? Or is there a township discharge bylaw that prevents this?
    The CO confirmed it was Public land like the Limerick and the Marlborough forest but he did stress that the Township discharge bylaws would be in effect and being that the Forest is within the town limits I would gather that 'shooting' would not be allowed.

The Deer cull in there was requested by the township many years ago to reduce the deer population, so like they do in other 'parks' etc in the province, they open a special controlled 'Bow hunt' to cull the herd.

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MikePal View Post
    The CO confirmed it was Public land like the Limerick and the Marlborough forest but he did stress that the Township discharge bylaws would be in effect and being that the Forest is within the town limits I would gather that 'shooting' would not be allowed.

The Deer cull in there was requested by the township many years ago to reduce the deer population, so like they do in other 'parks' etc in the province, they open a special controlled 'Bow hunt' to cull the herd.
    so can anyone hunt there or do you need to apply.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Open to the public....but you need one of the additional deer 'Bow' only tags.

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Reviving this thread because I was unsuccessful in the antlerless draw for my first choice, but I was successful for my second choice of 66B.

Does anybody here know someone who actually hunts in 66B? I would like to talk to someone about the actual rules that apply during this short bow-only season. Based on the above information, it seems like the COs don't know too much, so I'm not sure if it is worthwhile calling the MNRF, if I can even get someone on the phone. I'd particularly like to know about the use of ATVs for recovering game, and if portable treestands can be set-up.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rf2 View Post
    I'd particularly like to know about the use of ATVs for recovering game, and if portable treestands can be set-up.
    I assume Ed Patchell is still COO for the Ferguson Forest Centre, go to his office and he'll answer those questions. It's right beside the parking lot for the North Grenville Municipal Building. Like I said above, he'll open gates etc for you to retrieve you deer etc.

Yes the MNR guys don't give a hoot, they didn't even know about it

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast