Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best way to prospect for brook trout

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Default Best way to prospect for brook trout

Just looking for new trout streams around my house and when I get to the river what is the first thing I should do. Start throwing a streamer or drifting a nymph on a indicator? Or something completely different.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

I like to toss an attractor on for brookies....kjnd of confirms them being around lol... have a blast! I may be jealous!

Mod Squad

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by profisherdude View Post
    Just looking for new trout streams around my house and when I get to the river what is the first thing I should do. Start throwing a streamer or drifting a nymph on a indicator? Or something completely different.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk
    This time of year, measure the water temperature. Look for the cold, spring fed spots.
    TS

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

If you know of an active beaver pond , on a trout stream. There are usually deep water and undercut banks that the trout will congregate in. Not usually easy to fish. But you won't have much competition either A spring entering the main steam is a hotspot, as troutslayer said. If flies don't work, live bait, worms, grasshoppers etc definatly will old243

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

I would try worms works well where i fish for brookies.
    https://t.me/pump_upp

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

all great suggestions. water temp is key. cool spring fed streams well off the beaten path.

"E"

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Sometimes it only takes a minute to see a Speck break water somewhere on the lake. Sit down and watch the lake for a while.
    Woody

Nothing is more certain than an extremist's hatred of compromise

Travelling Tackle Shop

User Info Menu

I wouldn't rely solely on flies. Many of the spots I fish are overgrown and you would not be able to use a fly. I use a 5' 1 piece ultralight and take an assortment of artificials and worms.
    In small streams, you tend to find creek chubs and suckers in with the trout and often they will get the worms before the trout and you waste some worms before getting any trout. This is when a Panther Martin works well or a small white twister tail on a 1/16 oz. jig head. EGB spoons work as well. You can also tie a fly onto the end of your line with a small split shot a foot up the line works as well.
    Trout hate the sun, look for shaded spots under logs, overhanging bushes, undercut banks, boulders. As well look for a good water flow as they like well aerated water. Pools at the base of riffles are usually good. Overcast days can be more productive as I have found them to be more aggressive on cloudy days.
    A fly rod is fine, but it can greatly limit you.
    A bad day hunting or fishing is better than a good day at work.

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

At this time of year I wouldn't waste my time fly fishing. Go deep with small spinners or jigs. Or use worms.

Hedgehog

User Info Menu

PFD, Going back 35+ years opening day of trout fishing for me was a day for exploring and finding new trout streams, creeks etc. over the years I would head to my go to spots , fish the morning and get the map out and explore for new areas to try. covering about a 30-50km radius from Kincardine I found over a dozen of them over the years and still fish 1 spot in particular once or twice a year depending in the weather,. on my search I was looking for a few things, the obvious ( cars parked ) and then tea colored water and also a creek or stream with some flow to it. I mainly fish the faster water for the agressive fish and avoid the chubs if I can in the pools. shouldn't take you long before you have some places of your own.

and above all else KEEP THOSE SPOTS TO YOURSELF.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast