Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 367891011121314151617 LastLast
Results 121 to 130 of 165

Thread: Wind company asks landowners to ban hunting

  1. #121
    Member for Life

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JBen View Post
    Oh please Mike. We can suspend reality if you like. Me, the next time MPAC assess a property higher then a house across the street which doesn't have a million dollar view, perhaps you should just ask them then about the hiprocrisy.
    Quote Originally Posted by JBen View Post
    That identical houses in the same neighbourhoods, those that are close to train tracks sell for less than houses 100 yards further away, but for more than houses that back on to the tracks. Why?
    again..your confusing it ...that is not MPAC....that is Real Estate...now if you were to tell me two identical homes on the same street on with/without a view had different Municipal/MPAC mill rates... I would be surprised. Are they worth more/less, of course...but as far as what they pay in taxes..probably not.
    Arte et marte (By Skill and by Fighting)...The RCEME motto

  2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT
     

  3. #122
    Member for Life

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Nice try. Were aren't discussing mill rates, nor are we "discussing" what MPAC would assess those properties at. Though I would be highly, highly surprised if MPAC assessed them at the same. An ex girlfriend lived in a development in Pickering. Her house was about 200 yards from the tracks. When she sold, hers went for $40,000 ($420,000 vs 380,000) aka 10% more than an identical house, identical that sold two weeks prior but happened to back on the tracks. And Im pretty sure she paid more in taxes to. Thats not what we are discussing (arguing).

    We are arguing whether or not, they have an impact on property value...Property value, what a place is worth, what it will sell for (also what banks will extend in credit and who have their own appraisers). and subsequently MPACs ludicrous claim they don't effect property value.

    Do note, in that article I linked about the temple in Bethany. The developers, the two companies wanting to build obviously believe and know they impact property values because they claim the hills will muffle the sound, and they are far enough away so as to not ruin views.
    Last edited by JBen; August 11th, 2016 at 11:02 AM.

  4. #123
    Has all the answers

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JBen View Post
    Your arguing for the sake of arguing.
    You noticed that too eh?
    A trophy is in the eye of the bow holder

  5. #124
    Member for Life

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LowbanksArcher View Post
    You noticed that too eh?
    Seriously guys; you post nonsense during a discussion/debate and expect that it won't get challenged and I get told I'm arguing for the sake of arguing ?

    We are arguing whether or not, they have an impact on property value...Property value, what a place is worth, what it will sell for (also what banks will extend in credit and who have their own appraisers). and subsequently MPACs ludicrous claim they don't effect property value.

    Yes and I posted a both studies from MPAC and Realtors that prove that it doesn't...you have yet to post anything but anecdotal stories and quips from articles..NOTHING factual to support your argument..but you keep going and going and going..

    Whose really arguing for the sake of arguing JBen...

    so I will stop arguing now till you can prove your side, with facts found in a study, as I have done.

    edit add: and save us some time, check your sources, those anti-wind nut-bars spew lots of unsubstantiated hogwash
    Last edited by MikePal; August 11th, 2016 at 11:23 AM.
    Arte et marte (By Skill and by Fighting)...The RCEME motto

  6. #125
    Member for Life

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Mike you know I like you, and I happen to like discussions/debates on a wide variety of topics. I like to read, and there are some (usually those that involve politics/finance) I join in on. Believe that debate is a healthy thing. It proves nothing Mike, it suspends reality and if anything only calls their (can't think of right word) maybe integrity into question.

    So right here, yes or no. Are you willing to bet $1,000 that sound alone affect property values. Because I am. You backed off fast, because you know it does. Find two property for sale in your neck of the woods. Maybe in a little hamlet one that backs onto or abuts a busy highway/concession one that doesn't it. Let us know which has to reduce the price in order to sell. Can say I looked at a beautiful home in the town of Sunderland. While it wasn't right on highway 12, nor could we see it , it was close, just beyond the house to the East. We could certainly hear the trucks rumbling down it. Our agent ( and us) said no-way this house was worth $500,000 nor would they get it. And guess what, it sat for weeks. While similar houses, priced similarly sold in a day.

    Mike, its you thats posting/arguing nonsense. Just because MPAC "says so" doesn't make it so.
    Last edited by JBen; August 11th, 2016 at 11:30 AM.

  7. #126
    Member for Life

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Well, it has now come to light that water wells in our area have been rendered useless due to vibrations from IWT's. Landowners with them were apparently sworn to secrecy, but others in the area have not......the cat is now out of the bag. If this doesn't impact land value, I don't know what will. Apparently the wind contracts include provisions to pay for bottled water if the wells were compromised. How many bottles of water will it take to water livestock ?? Should be interesting!

  8. #127
    Post-a-holic

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quite the conversation here!

    It's like guys arguing over who has the best Ex-wife.

    Anyway back 80 yrs ago I wonder if these same arguments arose when hydro started stringing those monstrous hydro towers?

    They travel endlessly in 200 foot wide corridors and can be seen from miles away.

    and they hummmmm and they're known to affect health.

    they're everywhere now and no one bats an eye over them.

    maybe wind mills will gain acceptance - it will take time!

    for the record - I thought the first few were cute - now I don't like them.

    how long can we pay them (80 cents per kw) before we the consumer get the trickle down affect.

    anyway .. nice heated discussion.

    we as Canadians are too passive and polite .. we get bent over a fence and say sorry after it's over!
    If you keep doing what you've always done. You'll keep getting what you've always got!
    Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

  9. #128
    Member for Life

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rick_iles View Post
    Well, it has now come to light that water wells in our area have been rendered useless due to vibrations from IWT's.
    Now that is very interesting. Do you have any more info on that?
    "The language of dogs and birds teaches you your own language."
    -- Jim Harrison (1937 - 2016)

  10. #129
    Member for Life

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Actually Skeeter they do. Theres a big Hyrdo corridor that runs through the north end of Durham. House prices are depressed relative to comparibles. That doesn't mean people won't and don't buy them (especially these days when demand is so much greater than supply).And at the end of the day, open fields with towers is still a better view than living in a fishbowl and staring into your neighbours kitchen. Read something not long ago, that in Durham alone the estimate is 50,000 homes are needed to meet demand. Years ago when I first got divorced I looked at a new home build development going in in Ajax. The north edge backed onto the conservation belt with the Hyrdo corridor, the East side backed on the same green belt but the hydro corridor was to the north.

    Builder premiums at that time for the greenspace lots.
    $75,000 for those on the East side, $40,000 on the North. Same model home, same lot size, both with large open spaces behind. Wonder why the different premiums?

    Rick.

  11. #130
    Member for Life

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JBen View Post
    So right here, yes or no. Are you willing to bet $1,000 that sound alone affect property values.
    I ignored it because it's a old diversionary tactic and a suckers bet...you know how many things affect the value of a home...hundreds..you've been thru it...crap my own wife refuse to buy a house because the owner left his dirty underwear by the bed the morning of the showing..talk about a view

    No that is nonsense.

    Quote Originally Posted by JBen View Post
    Mike, its you thats posting/arguing nonsense. Just because MPAC "says so" doesn't make it so.
    No MPAC proved it wasn't so, not said..proved...did you read thru the link and all the appendixes as to how the study was conducted by a 3 rd party....no I imagine not...it would put your position in question.

    read thru this one at least before you make another fool hardy attempt to discredit the test scenarios ;

    https://www.mpac.ca/sites/default/fi.../AppendixG.pdf
    Last edited by MikePal; August 11th, 2016 at 11:59 AM.
    Arte et marte (By Skill and by Fighting)...The RCEME motto

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •