Thread: Florida Fishing Recommendations

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Default Florida Fishing Recommendations

Hi all,
    I will be travelling to Florida at the end of Sept. I'll be in Fort Lauderdale and in the Keys.

Can anyone recommend a decent fishing charter/guide to check out? Im not very picky about what I catch, as long as it has a good fight!

Thanks in advance.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

If you want a good fight, get a charter to take you out the the wrecks for some Amberjacks. After a few of them, you would have enough of fish fighting for the day. Nothing in Ontario, not even 25lb+ Chinook Salmon out on the lake, fight remotely as hard as them. And AJ's don't need to be big to tire you out. AJ's are very consistent all year round...much more of a sure thing than say Kingfish, Sailfish or Tarpon which depends on the season, the marine condition and sometimes just their damn moods.

Sharks will kick your butt as well. Strength and stamina combined. Out in the Keys, the shark fishing can be fairly consistent as well on a charter. DIY shark fishing, in my experience so far, has been pretty much a miss unless you time them right (which we never did).
    Last edited by MuskieBait; August 22nd, 2016 at 12:47 PM.

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MuskieBait View Post
    If you want a good fight, get a charter to take you out the the wrecks for some Amberjacks. After a few of them, you would have enough of fish fighting for the day. Nothing in Ontario, not even 25lb+ Chinook Salmon out on the lake, fight remotely as hard as them. And AJ's don't need to be big to tire you out. AJ's are very consistent all year round...much more of a sure thing than say Kingfish, Sailfish or Tarpon which depends on the season, the marine condition and sometimes just their damn moods.

Sharks will kick your butt as well. Strength and stamina combined. Out in the Keys, the shark fishing can be fairly consistent as well on a charter. DIY shark fishing, in my experience so far, has been pretty much a miss unless you time them right (which we never did).

Thanks, some great information here.

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

I went back and forth to Miami for decades. Fished all over the state, both freshwater and saltwater.
    My favourite way to fish down there is on a party boat. They generally take you out for a half day and it's not overly expensive ($50/person?). You drop cut bait down onto the reefs. No idea what you will hook, could be anything and everything.
    I'd look for one (near where you are staying) online.

If you are in the keys, bring a decent spinning outfit and buy bait (squid) anywhere. Because you can literally fish ANYWHERE.
    Arrogant city dweller.

Has all the answers

User Info Menu

I have fished the keys, depends on what you want to get out of the experience. We have gone out for snapper, tuna, mahi mahi, and shark. For meat the best fishing was Yellow Tail Tuna, we brought home enough meat equivalent for the cost of fishing charter itself, but these boats can be expensive so we go in a group to split the costs. As as said above the party boats are great, low cost and you will catch fish, select the longer trips if possible as they go to the deeper ledges and reefs. You may also have a chance to fish for Amber Jacks off a party boat if you take the right gear, we fished for them Jan 1 opening day off a party boat and got one and lost one. Watch out for the dolphins (the mammal not Mahi Mahi) as they will steal the fish right off your hook.

Shark fishing is for sport down there, they don't eat the sharks and look in horror when it is suggested LOL.

fuller group.jpg
    " Grant Mountain Bloodhounds Clementine Burgermeister TD, MiSAR"

Just starting out

User Info Menu

My wife surprised me with a day out with The Lady Helen charters. Caught a couple Mahi Mahi's and tile fish. We also did some kite fishing for sail fish but did not catch any. The captain was great and we had a blast.