I've got about 1.75 arces they've been feeding on for about a month now

Dan

GOOD ON YA

Baiting should be called greeding. Does fk for the animal pop

Leads by example

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by standup View Post

Baiting should be called greeding. Does fk for the animal pop
    Well, I don't bait - but I've got lots of land and crops and foodplots and time.
    But I'm not going to knock somebody who does.
    Because maybe they have none of the above, so their choices and opportunities are limited.
    I'm all for chopping government. I've even built a guillotine.

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bigbear View Post
    Well, I don't bait - but I've got lots of land and crops and foodplots and time.
    But I'm not going to knock somebody who does.
    Because maybe they have none of the above, so their choices and opportunities are limited.
    If it don't benefit me and animal I admit I'm in over my responsible means and don't do that given thing. From hunting to fishing, cars You name it. To use your analogy I should just take a wack at surgery. I mean it's within my means to do the incision tonight, maybe tomorrow night I could do the........Hold on, way wrong. Can't do it right. Maybe don't do is best option

Leads by example

User Info Menu

If it don't benefit me and animal I admit I'm in over my responsible means and don't do that given thing. From hunting to fishing, cars You name it. To use your analogy I should just take a wack at surgery. I mean it's within my means to do the incision tonight, maybe tomorrow night I could do the........Hold on, way wrong. Can't do it right. Maybe don't do is best option
    To each, their own. Hunting isn't surgery - it's an enjoyable pastime. So I'm going to stick up for those hunters who don't have the time, money or resources to do it the way I do.
    I'm all for chopping government. I've even built a guillotine.

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bigbear View Post
    To each, their own. Hunting isn't surgery - it's an enjoyable pastime. So I'm going to stick up for those hunters who don't have the time, money or resources to do it the way I do.
    Exactly. We are all on the same team. Except for some odd ducks (not naming any names here) who seem to be in a world of their own

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sullyy View Post
    Exactly. We are all on the same team. Except for some odd ducks (not naming any names here) who seem to be in a world of their own

IOW's

EXACTLY. We are all on the same team of butchers. Except for Standup who won't do unless he can do it with the respect it deserves, and is in a world far different than the new me me me world that says I get mine, phuk the animal pop, they'll always be there

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Foolish thought here. Hows bout something long term. Hay, wild turnips, clover, cut trails in winter for them to run etc etc. Something that helps your freezer, and. Yes I know it's foolish, but maybe helps the animal too, more than a few temporary sweet apples
    You do realize that deer cross fences and browse rather than graze right, they may eat in a hay field but that is not their primary food source, they eat a lot of different things and all at the same time, they wander around and eat here and there all day long.

That is why baiting for deer is tough, you do not get the same animals at the bait every night, you do not have then staying there for long, they pop in, have a munch then head out.

If we all had hundreds of acres to work with and no need to make money off the land then maybe we could all plant just for the deer.

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

I know you originally asked about baiting. But as mentioned, best to have started that early. Granted some deer will come to food, but many will be leary and go for it at night as season gets closer.

I would say, plan on baiting next year, this season, if you know where they bed and where they feed, you have an excellent opportunity to harvest deer this season. Set up off that trail between the two areas.

target early spring for food plot, bait, mineral. just my thoughts.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234