Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: No hunting signs on my goose hunting spots.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by javl View Post
    These island are really small . One would not fit my truck parked on it. I saw others hunting off them and honestly didn`t think any one would own them. Bad on my part I know. We have been hunting there for 15 years. Strictly waterfowl hunting. We hunt about 4 times during the season. It`s in the Kawartha lakes and part of the Trent water way.
    Small islands close to shore more than likely are private property. Larger islands out into the lakes,not so much,but,may be part of First Nations land claims. They can be confusing,for sure.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Member for Life

User Info Menu

We were once setup in a tent camp moose hunting on Crown Land near Red Lake. An Outfitter drove up to our tent and put a no hunting sign on a trail not 50 feet from our camp ( one of the guys we hunt with is a CO, pretty sure we were hunting legally). We put it in the fire pit and burnt enough of it for him to see it in the fire pit. He didn't return.
    My point is many people post land they don't own. I would do some more research on that one. This could be an anti hunter or someone claiming the spot.
    I’m suspicious of people who don't like dogs, but I trust a dog who doesn't like a person.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

You might be able to try the appropriate land registry??

Great white is correct with respect to the trespass act. Certain properties don't have to be marked ( manicured lawns, agricultural etc). Bush lots etc do need to have signage indicating what isn't permissible. In some cases landowners don't mind certain activities, so you might only see
    "no motorized vehicles"
    "no hunting"
    etc
    so access is fine, to hike/bike, bird watch....

other landowners dont want anyone on the property so the all encompassing.
    "no trespass"

its entirely possible someone owns these "islands" and has recently changed their minds, or possible new owners.

Has all the answers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by trimmer21 View Post
    Thanks. I'll sleep better,now,knowing that you found it necessary to post that.
    Ask a stupid question, expect a stupid answer............
    I love fishing but REALLY it is just a way to pass time until hunting season!!!!

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

Now now. Let`s all play nice. This is a very small lake . No native land claims around here this I know for sure. I have a feeling its an anti who moved in. Not sure if the islands belong to them. My wife works for a realestate head office and has someone from the area looking in to it. If it is bogus gona contact MNR and I hope they lay charges but I think I have a better chance of seeing a fart.

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by trimmer21 View Post
    Small islands close to shore more than likely are private property. Larger islands out into the lakes,not so much,but,may be part of First Nations land claims. They can be confusing,for sure.
    I second trimmers comment, many of these islands from buckhorn to the Trent river are First Nation owned as part of the islands of the Trent. Peterborough GIS labels these perfectly on they're software for your knowledge

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by javl View Post
    Now now. Let`s all play nice. This is a very small lake . No native land claims around here this I know for sure. I have a feeling its an anti who moved in. Not sure if the islands belong to them. My wife works for a realestate head office and has someone from the area looking in to it. If it is bogus gona contact MNR and I hope they lay charges but I think I have a better chance of seeing a fart.
    Yes there are First Nation land claims here, these islands are part of the Islands of the Trent land claim settlement. They are owned by the Mississauga First Nations of Alderville, Curvelake, Hiawatha and Scugog. These islands fall in theWilliams treaty as well as the 1818 Treaty #20 which encompasses all of Peterborough County.

Has all the answers

User Info Menu

Javi, hopefully you can come up with the answer you need, unfortunately I am no help, not in that area but I have hunted on some islands in that region but only threw invites.
    I love fishing but REALLY it is just a way to pass time until hunting season!!!!

Has all the answers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by greatwhite View Post
    Correct me if I am wrong but if land is unmarked and not be used for anything you can use it. Probably a little more to the law than that but it's close. I can show you land around here that you would swear is crown and it isn't I can also show you crown but you would probably think it's private. I know of some land that members on here in the past hunted thinking it was crown and it wasn't.
    So if land is not posted and vacant you can just help yourself to it? I would recommend securing permission from any private land owner before hunting on it. This happens all to often and is a huge reason why it is becoming increasingly more difficult to get permission on private land in Ontario.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

If land is unmarked and does not appear to be private than yes, there is a bit more to it than that but I don't have time to lookup the Act.. I can show you private land that even seasoned members on here thought was crown but it was private. I can also show you crown that you would swear up and down it's private.

Quote Originally Posted by Bandwagon View Post
    So if land is not posted and vacant you can just help yourself to it? I would recommend securing permission from any private land owner before hunting on it. This happens all to often and is a huge reason why it is becoming increasingly more difficult to get permission on private land in Ontario.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast