Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Non-trained Hunting Dog vs. No Dog

Has all the answers

User Info Menu

see how it does with gunshots and if it handles them ok then why not give it a try. I wont knock you down for trying it. I love my dog and bring her on scouting trips shes not trained for hunting but I have scent trained her for finding her toys and other items. she does well in the bush and loves scouting for stuff. Last trip she found a deer carcass coyote carcass turkey feathers coyote scat and spots where a skunk sprayed and treed some squirrels that I wouldnt have found otherwise. start out without guns and see how the pooch does then see if gunshots scare. You never know until you try and if you never take your dog out into the woods hunting because some armchair guru told you not to you may be missing out.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Member for Life

User Info Menu

I also have a Bernese Mountain Dog, in fact have had 4 of them over the years. Taking them for a walk with me is like walking with a 2 yr old kid, they don't focus long enough to 'work' the bush

They don't seem to have any idea what to do in regards to any natural hunting instincts. I think when they flush a wild turkey in the tall grass they are more surprised than the turkey

I never have them leashed, as they never stray to far and recall easily.

Can't help with the idea of shooting over them for grouse etc...never tried it but I know they as a breed don't seem overly concerned about loud noises, they're not a 'nervous' type of dog. I have a shooting range in the back yard and the dogs are normally laying in the yard and not bothered by the noise.

You'll never know for sure how your dog will respond till you try it. Never a waste of time taking your dog hunting with you, sort of like taking your 2 yr old fishing with you.

Apprentice

User Info Menu

Default Non-trained Hunting Dog vs. No Dog

If you do decide to go look up some of the training tips on here or Web on introducing gunfire to dogs. My current dog has no interest in loud noise and is kinda like Fox's beagle... every time I grab a gun she gives me the "so this is it" look.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Deer Wrastler View Post
    You never know until you try and if you never take your dog out into the woods hunting because some armchair guru told you not to you may be missing out.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk
    Not sure who you are referring to here but the people who have offered advice are accomplished dog owners and hunters. That dog if it hasn't been conditioned to gunfire could totally freak out and bolt. Introducing a dog to gunfire properly isn't just walking it out into the woods and popping one off.
    Last edited by terrym; September 10th, 2016 at 12:49 PM.
    I’m suspicious of people who don't like dogs, but I trust a dog who doesn't like a person.

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

Let him try Terry.lol

Apprentice

User Info Menu

'Don't you think you might scare the bejeezes out of the poor little fella if he thinks you're shooting at him? I think no dog is better than one that's untrained. IMO,I'd leave pupster at home. Welcome to the forum.'

'That dog if it hasn't been conditioned to gunfire could totally freak out and bolt. Introducing a dog to gunfire properly isn't just walking it out into the woods and popping one off."

What they said.
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

Post-a-holic

User Info Menu

i had a similar question a few years back. for me, wasn't worth the risk. fired a few cap gun shots and it disturbed him every time even with every incentive known to man. if you do plan to take him out, make sure you can catch the poor guy when he takes off!

Has all the answers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by terrym View Post
    Not sure who you are referring to here but the people who have offered advice are accomplished dog owners and hunters. That dog if it hasn't been conditioned to gunfire could totally freak out and bolt. Introducing a dog to gunfire properly isn't just walking it out into the woods and popping one off.
    thats a great point. I fully agree you shouldnt pop off rounds for the first time out in the woods. my post didnt imply that either. but if the dog was ok with gunshots through previous knowledge whats the harm in bringing mans best friend along for a hunt. As long as the op is ok with having their dog off a leash in the woods which to me seems they dont have an issue hence why they asked the question. You may disagree but I have my own opinion and have had good times in the past with my dog in the woods. Dogs love to be outdoors and explore the worst that can happen is the dog doesnt rustle up any grouse. Knowing it was ok with gunshots and not taking it out because a stranger on a forum said not to would in my opinion be a loss. but again my opinion.

Leads by example

User Info Menu

I hunted grouse with a pet (not trained) spaniel, she sometimes flushed birds out of range, so it was counterproductive.
    She was fine with gun fire.
    "The dog is Small Munsterlander, the gun is Beretta."
    "You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed" A. Saint-Exupery.

Post-a-holic

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Deer Wrastler View Post
    thats a great point. I fully agree you shouldnt pop off rounds for the first time out in the woods. my post didnt imply that either. but if the dog was ok with gunshots through previous knowledge whats the harm in bringing mans best friend along for a hunt. As long as the op is ok with having their dog off a leash in the woods which to me seems they dont have an issue hence why they asked the question. You may disagree but I have my own opinion and have had good times in the past with my dog in the woods. Dogs love to be outdoors and explore the worst that can happen is the dog doesnt rustle up any grouse. Knowing it was ok with gunshots and not taking it out because a stranger on a forum said not to would in my opinion be a loss. but again my opinion.
    The worst that can happen is your dog bolts and now it's a safety issue.

I take it from your comments that you may not be aware how to introduce gunfire to your dog. Especially if your dog is lacking prey drive which is a huge connection when beginning that aspect of training.

Comments I read didn't say to never take your dog but rather be cautious and just maybe consider doing some training to address the issue.

Some of these arm chair gurus have trained many dogs for hunting and competed in events across the continent. I respectfully suggest that the suggestions offered be considered for the benefit of both dog and individual.

Just an opinion.

Regards.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast