Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "hack and squirt" for controlling unwanted trees?

Member for Life

User Info Menu

No kidding..Round up becomes inert very quickly, not an issue. That's why, even here in Ontario where every herbicide is banned except it, it's still allowed

I had the trees and scrub professionally removed from under my hydro lines back on the 4th of Aug...the machine mulched everything down to the ground. The pic below shows the regrowth in the past 5 weeks. The off shoots coming back on the willow are already almost 2' high (the spade is 3').

If I don't use Round-up to control the re-growth....I'd have to brush cut this back every 3-4 months or it will be back in full force by next summer.

There is another alternative to stop re-growth permanently, it's illegal. PM if your interested.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Post-a-holic

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by skypilot View Post
    Having to maintain a 5000 acre perimeter would take care of that nonsense................
    If I had 5000!!!!! Acre i wouldn't have time to waste to read every post on here. Not sure if i should congratulate you or express my condolences considering you're apperently trying to turn them into baren land

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Waftrudnir View Post
    If I had 5000!!!!! Acre i wouldn't have time to waste to read every post on here. Not sure if i should congratulate you or express my condolences considering you're apperently trying to turn them into baren land

Not really, just the perimeters need to be clean.
    The leases require clearly marking the perimeter and the parcels, posting same, keeping outside perimeters cleared among other requirements like working with the landowners' foresters etc.

If I had to hack and cut a path or ROW it would be a never ending or completed project. The herbicide works well although there is some cleaning periodically to maintain it.

Post-a-holic

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by skypilot View Post
    Not really, just the perimeters need to be clean.
    The leases require clearly marking the perimeter and the parcels, posting same, keeping outside perimeters cleared among other requirements like working with the landowners' foresters etc.

If I had to hack and cut a path or ROW it would be a never ending or completed project. The herbicide works well although there is some cleaning periodically to maintain it.
    Lol
    Lucky you, anyone who needs to do some clearing will soon figure out, it's a never ending job...
    There is a reason for all the methods legally available. Farming crop for a living is one thing, but maintain a property for hunting is another. Haven't have a problem myself doing an acre or two a day very casually with a good hand held cutter as long as i don' t need to clean up/ shred the brush.
    If I had more to clean and the funds, i'd look into a slashbuster or similar rather than a "hack and poison" approach like the op mentioned

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Waftrudnir View Post
    Haven't have a problem myself doing an acre or two a day very casually with a good hand held cutter as long as i don' t need to clean up/ shred the brush.
    well if you only have an acre to casual clean then you don't see the reality of the work required to constantly maintain 100+ acres....totally different scenario and you'd change your mind about herbicides pretty quick. Hand held cutter...LOL....

Has all the answers

User Info Menu

For me its a combo of chainsaws as anything over 4 i utilise for firewood anything under i run through the wood chipper and once we get to the brush the bush hog does the rest... I spent a day this august on the bush hog cutting everything down to 6".

If your planning any significant clearing get yourself a 20 tonne excavator with mechanical thumb and real good operator we cleared a 40 yard wide section 350 yards long thru our bush and have replanted it in oats and clover for the deer.

Every winter once froze i will cut back the new shrubs to keep the green grass and clover plush.

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

MikePal ... ever heard of Dichlorprop? or Garlon

Apprentice

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MikePal View Post
    well if you only have an acre to casual clean then you don't see the reality of the work required to constantly maintain 100+ acres....totally different scenario and you'd change your mind about herbicides pretty quick. Hand held cutter...LOL....
    Yeah I find it amusing when people chirp about Glyphosate being poison to humans and the environment. Even the EPA, UN and European Food Agency agree that it's unlikely to cause cancer in humans. Soap, salt and vinegar concoctions are probably worse for the environment than glyphosate. Here's a little reading to that effect..... http://weedcontrolfreaks.com/2014/06...nd-glyphosate/
    So many critters & so little time to hunt......

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

The enviro-nazis are the worst great new capitalists... earth-lovers in wolfs clothing

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

For those who want to make their own herbicide spray as mentioned above (the one that uses vinegar) buy the higher strength. The vinegar commonly sold in the grocery store is roughly 5% (I think) while we sell horticultural vinegar which is 20% acetic acid

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12