Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: On Issue #16 - Union to sue Ontario government over Hydro One sell-off

  1. #1
    Has too much time on their hands

    User Info Menu

    Thumbs down On Issue #16 - Hydro One sell-off - Union to sue Ontario government +

    Interesting.... an organization that lives on secrecy and back room deals being sued by an organization that lives on nondisclosure and deals kept secret from its membership ......

    http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...ticle31869405/
    Ontario’s largest union is suing the government over the privatization of Hydro One, arguing the Liberals inappropriately mixed government business and party fundraising during the controversial sell-off.

    The suit, brought by Canadian Union of Public Employees Ontario president Fred Hahn on behalf of his nearly 250,000 members, will largely focus on a Dec. 7, 2015, fundraiser hosted by Finance Minister Charles Sousa and then-energy minister Bob Chiarelli, the cabinet ministers overseeing the privatization. That $7,500-a-plate dinner, first revealed by The Globe and Mail in March, was attended by representatives of several banks that were part of the syndicate that handled the first two tranches of Hydro One share sales.


    ...

    Mr. Wake did, however, urge the legislature to clarify its rules around conflicts-of-interest in light of the event.
    “It is conceivable that a reasonably well-informed person could have reasonable concerns about a $7,500 per person fundraising event, held one month after the conclusion of a significant transaction, chaired and attended largely by individuals affiliated with organizations that benefited from that transaction,” he wrote.


    ...Last year, Financial Accountability Officer Stephen LeClair calculated that the sale of Hydro One would cost the province in the long run – up to $500-million annually – mostly because the treasury will lose 60 per cent of the company’s annual dividend.

    Last edited by mosquito; May 9th, 2017 at 09:01 AM.

  2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT
     

  3. #2
    Member for Life

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mosquito View Post
    Interesting.... an organization that lives on secrecy and back room deals being sued by an organization that lives on nondisclosure and deals kept secret from its membership ......

    http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...ticle31869405/
    Ontario’s largest union is suing the government over the privatization of Hydro One, arguing the Liberals inappropriately mixed government business and party fundraising during the controversial sell-off.

    The suit, brought by Canadian Union of Public Employees Ontario president Fred Hahn on behalf of his nearly 250,000 members, will largely focus on a Dec. 7, 2015, fundraiser hosted by Finance Minister Charles Sousa and then-energy minister Bob Chiarelli, the cabinet ministers overseeing the privatization. That $7,500-a-plate dinner, first revealed by The Globe and Mail in March, was attended by representatives of several banks that were part of the syndicate that handled the first two tranches of Hydro One share sales.


    ...

    Mr. Wake did, however, urge the legislature to clarify its rules around conflicts-of-interest in light of the event.
    “It is conceivable that a reasonably well-informed person could have reasonable concerns about a $7,500 per person fundraising event, held one month after the conclusion of a significant transaction, chaired and attended largely by individuals affiliated with organizations that benefited from that transaction,” he wrote.


    ...Last year, Financial Accountability Officer Stephen LeClair calculated that the sale of Hydro One would cost the province in the long run – up to $500-million annually – mostly because the treasury will lose 60 per cent of the company’s annual dividend.

    Oh well.....its only half a billion each year..... Selling our assets without our consent, should be illegal......
    "Everything is easy when you know how"
    "Meat is not grown in stores"

  4. #3
    Member for Life

    User Info Menu

    Default

    I'm a little worried what she will sell next? Queen's Park? Algonquin Park?
    I’m suspicious of people who don't like dogs, but I trust a dog who doesn't like a person.

  5. #4
    Member for Life

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Weren't they caught selling off sections of Crown land to special interest groups in the past? Nothing surprises me with those crooks anymore.
    It's better to walk alone than with a crowd going in the wrong direction.

  6. #5
    Borderline Spammer

    User Info Menu

    Default

    They sold off hydro now I get to pay for the defence of the sale. Lol.

  7. #6
    Swims with the Fishes

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Sell queens park next for condos wouldn't surprise me
    That rug really tied the room together

  8. #7
    Has too much time on their hands

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by glen View Post
    They sold off hydro now I get to pay for the defence of the sale. Lol.

    ... and for the rebate too.
    https://www.facebook.com/GlobalToron...6077161749713/

    Premier Kathleen Wynne and Ontario finance minister Charles Sousa are on different pages when it comes to how the province can afford a $1 billion a year hydro rebat

  9. #8
    Member for Life

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cantcatchacold View Post
    Sell queens park next for condos wouldn't surprise me

    That's too good of an idea for that to happen. Then,we could move the Ontario capitol to Thunder Bay. Goodbye to the Toronto "elites".
    It's better to walk alone than with a crowd going in the wrong direction.

  10. #9
    Just starting out

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by terrym View Post
    I'm a little worried what she will sell next? Queen's Park? Algonquin Park?
    Queen's park is already bought and paid for. I've never seen a dirty election like I did last time around.

  11. #10
    Has too much time on their hands

    User Info Menu

    Default

    http://www.lfpress.com/2016/12/07/wy...hydro-one-saleThe lawsuit asks for a declaration that the conduct of the premier and her ministers amounts to “misfeasance” — as would any future sale of further Hydro One shares. It also asks for punitive damages of $1 million and damages for a further $100,000 for misfeasance in public office.

    The suit alleges that because of the sale, Ontario taxpayers are being forced to pay in excess of $1.2 billion more in debt retirement charges than necessary and will be deprived $500 million in annual revenues that would flow into provincial coffers




    and let's not forget the architect of this disaster is now in the PMO office!

    http://www.cbc.ca/news/opinion/ontar...ects-1.3884108
    Be afraid: The brains behind Ontario's energy disaster are now running the country

    Gerald Butts — who set Ontario on this financially bleak, dead-end road. And now, Butts is headed on the same path, leading not the premier, but the prime minister, on the way down. Butts was, according to the Toronto Star, "the man they call 'the brains behind the operation'" and the "policy architect of the Liberal government since 2003." Butts departed from McGuinty's government in 2008, but not before he and the Ontario Liberal team set the stage for the ill-fated Green Energy Act, in part, by signing onto dubious wind power projects and its cripplingly inefficient Renewable Energy Standard Offer Program (RESOP).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •