Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: another trail cam stolen

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

That is very frustrating. A neighbor at my dad's farm I hunt came over the other night with a pic of a guy who stole one of his. We did not recognize him. I won't buy one now. Our farm borders 3 farms and we all know each other yet cams are going missing. Having found garbage in my stands I won't even chance puting a cam out on our own property.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Getting the hang of it

User Info Menu

I clearly mark all my gear, tree stands, cameras with my name VERY bold with oil base paint. It makes the low life a tad more hesitant to think about taking my stuff.

Elite Member

User Info Menu

Sorry to hear that. We had one disappear last year also from a spot on our property, off trail where no one should have been. We chalked it up to bears but this year we found a bud light can in the same area. .. only thing worse than a thieving trespasser is a thieving trespasser with a poor taste in beer lol.

I agree that most likely the cameras were taken by ppl wanting to hide their tracks but couldn't they just format the card and move on?

If you want to conceal your cameras more, replace the strap with galvanized wire. The strap is the most obvious part.
    Heeere fishy fishy fishy fishy! :fish:

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Yes,mine was in a bear box and he cut the python cable.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Greenhorn View Post
    Yes,mine was in a bear box and he cut the python cable.
    I use 4" lag bolts....you'd have to cut down the tree..and not to many guys make that much effort, especially if you pick a big tree in a clump that won't fall if it's cut.

Bear Box...cheap insurance against theft...
    Last edited by MikePal; October 16th, 2016 at 01:46 PM.

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

I lost a nice camera last year on Dec 28-29th. I had removed it for both gun hunts and it was stolen by late season grouse hunters. Not much snow last year until into the New Year so they were able to ramble all through woodlots that wouldn't normally get walked. Very frustrating and I even have a vehicle plate and pics of the guy that I suspect. West Grey Police are waiting for his return and they know him well so we'll see what happens.

The guy next to me has resorted to putting cameras on cameras since he lost 2 cameras as well. All cameras should be required to have PIN's so they're junk if they get stolen.

Post-a-holic

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dutchhunter View Post
    Last Friday the wife and I picked up a new trail cam on sale Saturday I put it out at my dad's farm.left it for a week. Went back out hunting this morning and my camera is gone. Hard to believe. Someone would just help them self.
    200$DOWN THE DRAIN.

Sadly, it not hard to believe at all. After all they broke the law by trespassing in the first place. if they didn't have enough ethics to get permission to be on your father's property. Therefore it is pretty certain they'd have few scruples about lifting a trail cam.

You don't stop hunting because you grow old. You grow old because you stop hunting.
    - Gun Nut

Member for Life

User Info Menu

I think the only solution (legal one that is) is camera on camera.
    Have a beater set up sorta hidden and another good camera well hidden watching the beater.

Just starting out

User Info Menu

That sucks i seem to get something taken every year, for bear like mikepal said i made a steel box that i welded ( im not a welder its not pretty) and i use lag bolts never had that one stolen in that case and i use that one for bait where i bow hunt with a good cam facing that one in a stump last season had someone walk by and take a crap beside it marking his spot lmao no face pics
    marc

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by darton View Post
    That sucks i seem to get something taken every year, for bear like mikepal said i made a steel box that i welded ( im not a welder its not pretty) and i use lag bolts never had that one stolen in that case and i use that one for bait where i bow hunt with a good cam facing that one in a stump last season had someone walk by and take a crap beside it marking his spot lmao no face pics
    marc
    You did not post those I hope..
    Take the warning labels off. Darwin will solve the problem.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast