Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 37

Thread: Cleaning muzzle loader

  1. #11
    Apprentice

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Cleaning the ML really scratches the Obsessive Compulsive Order itch! Slow, methodical, meticulous!

    ...I better clean it again, just to make sure!

  2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT
     

  3. #12
    Has all the answers

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Regarding cleaning the ML. Yes it must be cleaned. I have to clean mine after 3 shots using triple 7. If I don't clean it I can't get the 3rd sabot in. I am considering using blackhorn powder. I hear you will not need to clean it during the season. Afterwards yes.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  4. #13
    Has all the answers

    User Info Menu

    Default

    agree... smokeless muzzleloaders is defeating the purpose of why rifles where banned in high density rural areas in the first place, it also goes against the cocept that a muzzleloader should be a more primitive weapon that is limited in range, require regular cleaning and maintenance hence why they added a third week of hunting with them.

    As the rules sit now you can use a modern rifle in the shotgun and muzzleloader season and shoot deer at 300 yards without issue.

    This is exactly why they elimintad rifles 2 decades ago to eliminate high powered rifles from being discharged in heavily populated and hunted areas. So now the rifle is loaded down the muzzle the safety reasons should not apply ???

    As soon as theres one incident with a bullet richochet from a smokeless rifle they will be regulated not for use in southern ontario as it will bring attention to what they are.

  5. #14
    Leads by example

    User Info Menu

    Default

    I never understood the use of soap and water for cleaning a gun. Never found a need for it with my Encore.

  6. #15
    Borderline Spammer

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Monster29/66 View Post
    agree... smokeless muzzleloaders is defeating the purpose of why rifles where banned in high density rural areas in the first place, it also goes against the cocept that a muzzleloader should be a more primitive weapon that is limited in range, require regular cleaning and maintenance hence why they added a third week of hunting with them.

    As the rules sit now you can use a modern rifle in the shotgun and muzzleloader season and shoot deer at 300 yards without issue.

    This is exactly why they elimintad rifles 2 decades ago to eliminate high powered rifles from being discharged in heavily populated and hunted areas. So now the rifle is loaded down the muzzle the safety reasons should not apply ???

    As soon as theres one incident with a bullet richochet from a smokeless rifle they will be regulated not for use in southern ontario as it will bring attention to what they are.
    1 shot vs 3 shots is probably part of the reasoning
    Quote Originally Posted by Mount Sweetness View Post
    I never understood the use of soap and water for cleaning a gun. Never found a need for it with my Encore.
    Just tried soap and water yesterday and loved the simplicity of cleaning. and no patches just dry patch and lube.

  7. #16
    Needs a new keyboard

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Monster29/66 View Post
    agree... smokeless muzzleloaders is defeating the purpose of why rifles where banned in high density rural areas in the first place, it also goes against the cocept that a muzzleloader should be a more primitive weapon that is limited in range, require regular cleaning and maintenance hence why they added a third week of hunting with them.

    As the rules sit now you can use a modern rifle in the shotgun and muzzleloader season and shoot deer at 300 yards without issue.

    This is exactly why they elimintad rifles 2 decades ago to eliminate high powered rifles from being discharged in heavily populated and hunted areas. So now the rifle is loaded down the muzzle the safety reasons should not apply ???

    As soon as theres one incident with a bullet richochet from a smokeless rifle they will be regulated not for use in southern ontario as it will bring attention to what they are.
    Reading this tripe really pisses me off.

    You got this very wrong. I'm one of those guys your bashing above.

    BTW - Center fire Rifles aren't banned at all you just can't hunt deer south of 7 with them.... let's get that straight. Most all old ml and shotguns alike use rifled barrels and have long before those regs were written.

    300 yards without issue?

    What kind of horse shyte is that comment?

    You have any idea how much work went into making something like that happen?

    You know what I realized after going through all the work? I can achieve the same 300 yard capabilities using BH209 in same gun.... The quality of barrel/build is what really makes that gun what it is. So let's give everybody a pos smooth bore ml and blow Bambi's leg off because hey we got to make this tough!

    2000 ft pound of energy at 300 yards and -18 inches... BH209.... can be done.

    What the hell do you think a R.E.M. 700 UML is? 2400 fps with a 250 pill and that's 4 pellets of t7... That is a 300 yard gun and is marketed as such.

    Do you know why it isn't marketed as a 400 yard gun? Cause it isn't.... Its in the dirt just like every other ML.

    Here is another way to look at it;

    I can still walk out the back 40 with a 270 shooting 130 grain pills for coyote.... Explain that with your comments above....completely legal even though as you put it they are banned.

    Ballistically that 270 will bounce and ricochet and is a much flatter round. Hey let's go one further, those round balls the old timers shoot are the worst dam things as far as ricochet goes. Nothing bounces like a ball or did you not learn that in school?

    As a matter of fact the last person killed in Canada by a Ml was killed by that very thing by a fellow discharging his black powder ML with a ball as I recall. So that means they should also be banned then.

    So let's get this straight a ML by definition is no breach load rifle.... never will be, certainly nowhere near in the same league as a high powered rifle. At 500 they are in the dirt on their way to China with not much left in the tank while that 270 is still flying high and in good hands can take a deer quite easily. Laws of physics apply.

    Finally there really isn't an inline ml on the market right now that isn't capable of 200 yards and many capable of a great deal more but at the end of the day a Centerfire rifle will always have much greater range and capabilities than a ML.

    Do everybody a favour and stop spewing your BS as facts. It isn't appreciated. With hunters like you we don't need the liberals. Everything will be banned but pea shooters.
    Last edited by Big Jack; November 22nd, 2016 at 09:31 PM.

  8. #17
    Member for Life

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Big Jack View Post
    Reading this tripe really pisses me off.

    You got this very wrong. I'm one of those guys your bashing above.

    BTW - Center fire Rifles aren't banned at all you just can't hunt deer south of 7 with them.... let's get that straight. Most all old ml and shotguns alike use rifled barrels and have long before those regs were written.

    300 yards without issue?

    What kind of horse shyte is that comment?

    You have any idea how much work went into making something like that happen?

    You know what I realized after going through all the work? I can achieve the same 300 yard capabilities using BH209 in same gun.... The quality of barrel/build is what really makes that gun what it is. So let's give everybody a pos smooth bore ml and blow Bambi's leg off because hey we got to make this tough!

    2000 ft pound of energy at 300 yards and -18 inches... BH209.... can be done.

    What the hell do you think a R.E.M. 700 UML is? 2400 fps with a 250 pill and that's 4 pellets of t7... That is a 300 yard gun and is marketed as such.

    Do you know why it isn't marketed as a 400 yard gun? Cause it isn't.... Its in the dirt just like every other ML.

    Here is another way to look at it;

    I can still walk out the back 40 with a 270 shooting 130 grain pills for coyote.... Explain that with your comments above....completely legal even though as you put it they are banned.

    Ballistically that 270 will bounce and ricochet and is a much flatter round. Hey let's go one further, those round balls the old timers shoot are the worst dam things as far as ricochet goes. Nothing bounces like a ball or did you not learn that in school?

    As a matter of fact the last person killed in Canada by a Ml was killed by that very thing by a fellow discharging his black powder ML with a ball as I recall. So that means they should also be banned then.

    So let's get this straight a ML by definition is no breach load rifle.... never will be, certainly nowhere near in the same league as a high powered rifle. At 500 they are in the dirt on their way to China with not much left in the tank while that 270 is still flying high and in good hands can take a deer quite easily. Laws of physics apply.

    Finally there really isn't an inline ml on the market right now that isn't capable of 200 yards and many capable of a great deal more but at the end of the day a Centerfire rifle will always have much greater range and capabilities than a ML.

    Do everybody a favour and stop spewing your BS as facts. It isn't appreciated. With hunters like you we don't need the liberals. Everything will be banned but pea shooters.
    Excellent ! excellent , excellent,

  9. #18
    Leads by example

    User Info Menu

    Default

    My savage 10ML ii is in the the top 10 best hunting investments I have ever made...

  10. #19
    Has all the answers

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Xcellant post Big Jack... totally agree with it

  11. #20
    Has all the answers

    User Info Menu

    Default

    this thread was about cleaning muzzloaders which someone chirped wasnt necessary with a smokeless after several replied they thought it defeats the purpose of muzzle loading i said the same and pointed out increased muzzle velocities leads to safety issues in heavily populated southern areas. I still have that opinion.. and yes i know 270 and under are stil permitted south of seven for coyotes and other small game as theirs less people in the woods hunting yotes than deer.

    Ive hunted yotes for a long time...ran hounds with em and have a TC Icon 270... do i use it for coyotes running hounds with other hunters. NO we stick to 22 mags or shot guns and keep shots close as its a fast paced hunt where hunters and yotes are on the move and difficult to be aware of all people / hunters around.

    My 270 is for spotting clear cuts in the north where people and hunters are less frequent.

    MNR knew with so many deer hunters in southern ontario, pushing bushes etc use of high powered rifles issues arise, let alone the perception of what non hunters think hearing the crack of rifles beside their house. So by putting smokeless powder in a rifled muzzeloader what do we have ?? a Big Bore Single Shot Rifle capable of long range shooting exactly what MNR was hoping to eliminate.

    If you dont believe hunters running around taking longer range shots in southern ontario is a safety issue ask Stan Jonathon how it worked for him and Peter Kosid, bottom line the further away shots are taken with calibers toting increased velocities accidents happen. Given the relative ease of getting a deer south of highway 7 is it necessary, most hunters i know have no problem getting a deer with a bow let alone someone firing shots at 2 to 300 yards.

    There was no personal attack on you, but since you spend so much time bragging about your new long range gun, you built ( or had built for you ) and your free hand hay maker shots its you who feels the need to stroke your own ego.

    Do the world a favor and accept not everyone agrees with your self serving point of view and maybe if you spend less time polishing your ego and polishing the inside of your bore you wouldnt have to brag about your gun.
    Last edited by Monster29/66; November 24th, 2016 at 02:38 PM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •