Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891013 ... LastLast

Thread: Waterfowling in a boat question.

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by krakadawn View Post
    Best to talk to local CO re their interpretation. At a local mtg our CO focussed on 'make every reasonable effort' as opposed to be be worrying whether your motor was running or you were moving forward. Their only concern was that your gun was unloaded when you motored out.
    What happens when it's another CO, or you hunt a different spot, or the OPP sees you firing from a boat under power, or you encounter a federal migratory bird CO? Wouldn't it just be easier to follow the regs??

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelshed View Post
    Nowhere does that say you can fire from a boat under power!!! So yes you have been doing it wrong for 45 years! That simply states that you must make every effort to go out and retrieve your birds, if they are still alive then you must kill them and you can use your power boat to retrieve your birds (you must do all of this without breaking any laws!) If you do need to shoot a crippled bird you must turn your motor off and cease your forward momentum before you can shoot the crippled bird... It that easy, it's posted right in the regs...

Would you shoot a crippled dear from your truck in an effort to retrieve it???
    You are not allowed to hunt deer from your truck period, so it is not a fair comparison.

I have been told by more than one CO that it is allowable providing it is done safely. There is not a serious diver hunter that hasn't done it. I have been doing it for 35 years and providing it is clear what you are doing and you are doing it safely it is not a problem.

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

Nobody says you can't pull your truck into a fence row remove the keys cover it in blind material and use it as a blind.lollollol

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by brent View Post
    You are not allowed to hunt deer from your truck period, so it is not a fair comparison.

I have been told by more than one CO that it is allowable providing it is done safely. There is not a serious diver hunter that hasn't done it. I have been doing it for 35 years and providing it is clear what you are doing and you are doing it safely it is not a problem.
    I diver hunt and have never done it... You can do as you please and I know a lot of people do it. I also really couldn't care less how many CO's have told you, it's pretty clear in the regs that it is not allowed... So please don't tell others that it is okay to do. It would be really bad if somebody did get in trouble with the law based on your recommendations of what some CO told you...
    Most provincial CO's don't care or have a clue, but a run in with the OPP or a federal CO might be a bit different...

And technically you cant discharge a firearm from any motorized vehicle but the federal regs exempt boats when the motor is off and the boat has ceased its forward momentum for the sole purpose of hunting migratory birds.

Post-a-holic

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=steelshed;997387]I diver hunt and have never done it... You can do as you please and I know a lot of people do it. I also really couldn't care less how many CO's have told you, it's pretty clear in the regs that it is not allowed... So please don't tell others that it is okay to do. It would be really bad if somebody did get in trouble with the law based on your recommendations of what some CO told you...
    Most provincial CO's don't care or have a clue, but a run in with the OPP or a federal CO might be a bit different...

I have shared what I have been told. That's a little more than 'doing as I please'. Feel free to make your own decisions.

Your statement that most CO's don't have a clue or could care less is so far from the truth.I know a couple who'll get a laugh with that!
    By the way you've also heard from an OPP in this thread but of course it's your call.

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dutchhunter View Post
    Nobody says you can't pull your truck into a fence row remove the keys cover it in blind material and use it as a blind.lollollol
    You did mean unless you are mobility impaired, right?

Use of Vehicles, Boats or Aircraft (see Definitions, page 86) Aircraft may not be used while hunting. Snowmobiles, vehicles or boats may not be used for chasing, pursuing, harassing, capturing, injuring or killing any wildlife. It is illegal to have a loaded firearm in or on, or discharge a firearm from, an aircraft, vehicle (including snowmobile and all-terrain vehicle) or motorboat or anything towed by the boat. An exception to this rule is that a person may obtain an authorization through the local ministry office if the person’s mobility is impaired and the person meets one of the following criteria: 1. A paraplegic or hemiplegic. 2. A single (above the knee) lower limb amputation or a double (below the waist) amputation. 3. Suffers severe disability and cannot hunt without the use of a wheelchair or similar means of locomotion. In this case, the hunter must provide a medical certificate stating disability. The authorization is valid for a period of up to five years for a person with a permanent disability. A loaded firearm may be carried in, and discharged from, a canoe or boat that is being paddled, with no motor attached. MOTORBOATS: Under the Fish and Wildlife Conservation Act, 1997, a motorboat means a boat with a motor that is attached to the boat (see Definitions on page 86). There is an exception to the prohibition on loaded firearms in a motorboat if you are hunting waterfowl in accordance with the Migratory Birds Convention Act, 1994.

Sent from my SM-G870W using Tapatalk
    Last edited by refteck; November 2nd, 2016 at 10:14 PM.

Post-a-holic

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelshed View Post
    Nowhere does that say you can fire from a boat under power!!! So yes you have been doing it wrong for 45 years! That simply states that you must make every effort to go out and retrieve your birds, if they are still alive then you must kill them and you can use your power boat to retrieve your birds (you must do all of this without breaking any laws!) If you do need to shoot a crippled bird you must turn your motor off and cease your forward momentum before you can shoot the crippled bird... It that easy, it's posted right in the regs...

Would you shoot a crippled dear from your truck in an effort to retrieve it???
    Steelshed,
    I always appreciate the opinions of others especially when they are helpful for those who are inexperienced or new to an activity. I like to see 'opinions' backed up by facts of some sort or a clear interpretation .

Your comment to Rick was somewhat condescending in nature and detracting from arguing a position.

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Biting tongue!!!!!!

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

Has all the answers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sinker View Post
    Biting tongue

Ya that is prob the best senario, no point in arguing with someone like that, 13 posts in and everyone of them is telling someone how he knows the rules better.............. Not worth arguing with the trolls...........
    I love fishing but REALLY it is just a way to pass time until hunting season!!!!

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by duckslayer View Post
    Ya that is prob the best senario, no point in arguing with someone like that, 13 posts in and everyone of them is telling someone how he knows the rules better.............. Not worth arguing with the trolls...........
    Yup, me too! At least we know what we are doing !!

Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891013 ... LastLast