View Poll Results: Is big-game hunting better in the snow?

Voters
119. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

97 81.51%
  • No

22 18.49%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Polling our readers - Nov-Dec 2016

Administrator

User Info Menu

Default Polling our readers - Nov-Dec 2016

Is big-game hunting better in the snow?

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Has all the answers

User Info Menu

I'm a bit surprised the no vote is even at 17%. I'm guess there are certain instances out there, maybe, sorta... hehe. jk

From a deer hunting point of view I love it just from the scouting aspect for a start, to know for sure where there is actual recent and past activity, is invaluable info, let alone the ability to still hunt or push a fresh track. Plus for the first time all year you can actually see those ghosts in the bush much further away. Bonus for shooting. Then add in the security of being able to track your game after the shot, that seals the deal big time for me. No worry bout getting turned about either, and dragging game out sure is nicer.
    Lastly, snow means colder weather, and what deer hunter doesn't yearn for that, specially during the rut.

Just sayin... I can't see it being any different for moose or even elk hunters. That's why I'm a tad surprised at the responses.

Cheers
    Smitty

Straight shooter

Apprentice

User Info Menu

I'm 100% with smitty55 on this one.

Has all the answers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Noseyarentcha View Post
    ...still no replies?
    ...perhaps the question is silly and requires no response.
    Ok, I'll bite. All depends on your type of hunting. For deer, I find there's little benefit of snow for hunting small bushes in southern Ontario. When you already know the travel patterns in your area from years of experience, the tracks that snow reveals should be no surprise.

Game seem to sneak up on you quieter in the snow. Packing in a stand+gear, etc with a foot of snow on the ground is pain, and everything gets wet when it thaws.
    The only benefit for my style of hunting is the added visual aid in a blood trail. Then, if there's too much snow, accessing that downed animal with an ATV/pickup can be another annoyance.
    A trophy is in the eye of the bowholder

Has all the answers

User Info Menu

This question could be taken in 2 ways, it could be read as hunting in snow vs no snow at any time of year, or early(ier) in the season season when it is warmer. I took it to mean earlier in the season.

I bow hunt and prefer the early season.

Early season has the benefit of hunting before most of the newer hunters and gun hunters even venture into the woods. The deer have not been harassed yet, move more in daytime, are easier to pattern, I don't have to freeze my butt off, I can get into my locations quietly without crunching snow, don't have to worry about the dangers of hypothermia (ie climbing down with cold hands that don't work LOL), I don't need a lot of luggage to carry, I can hunt both before and after work due to the longer hours, the foliage is still on the trees to provide sound and visual cover. Most importantly, it includes the last week of October and even some early November hunting which I consider to be some of the best times to be out.

Being in the woods late season has the advantage that I am usually the only one there.

However, given the option, I could hunt at anytime of the year and it would be equally rewarding.
    " Grant Mountain Bloodhounds Clementine Burgermeister TD, MiSAR"

Member for Life

User Info Menu

My dad was always gone deer hunting on my birthday - Nov 4. There was always snow , and if there had been no snow he would have been totally annoyed. So i assume snow is better. ( Definitely wouldn't have enjoyed deer hunting this year.)

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Our deer camp seems to do better with snow if it isn't deep with a hard crust. That combo seems to be the worst for deer(and therefore us) but the wolves love it.

Coyote hunting(not really big game) is easier while deer hunting in snow. Snow is a big help in seeing and calling Eastern yotes and wolves.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

If you hunt a "yarding area" snow really is what your praying for and I,am surprised none of the hunters in the yards have replied. With it getting milder over the years hunting these area,s must be getting tougher.

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

I hunt in the port loring yarding area. The last several years we are hunting local deer, as opposed to deer that are migrating through. We usually manage to get one or two, as compared to a big count , previously. We have been letting our does and fawns walk, to preserve our local herd. Makes our hunt more interesting. I have been doing the same at home, if you kill the does , dad won't be checking things out. old243

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gilroy View Post
    If you hunt a "yarding area" snow really is what your praying for and I,am surprised none of the hunters in the yards have replied. With it getting milder over the years hunting these area,s must be getting tougher.
    ^^^^ Exactly, if you are hunting a yard, as our group does, you pray for early snow but if you don't and you haven't fill your tag come December you probably want to keep them around so you don't want any snow.

For the rifle hunt in November, bring on the snow and the cold! Nothing like it to make them move to feed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast