Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Muzzleloaders Stink!

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Default Muzzleloaders Stink!

Now that I've got your attention. What do you use to oil the barrel for storage? Bore butter??? I shot my ML in August to sight it in. Cleaned it up well using bore cleaner gel. Guess I forgot the last step which was to apply some sort of oil to prevent rusting. Man the barrel was completely full of rust. I cleaned it again and at the end applied G96 as I had nothing else on hand. I'm just wonder what I should apply once cleaned.

I'm shooting Triple 7 pellets at this point with powerbelts.
    Tx

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Before storage, I just used regular gun oil, run an oil patch through it and leave it. I will run a clean patch through before I take it out to be fired.
    "Everything is easy when you know how"
    "Meat is not grown in stores"

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

I just got a patch wet with 10 30 motor oil ran it threw twice followed by one pass with a dry patches. No rust yet.lol

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DanO View Post
    at the end applied G96 as I had nothing else on hand.
    G96 is great stuff, it will work fine. I use BreakFree, another CLP product.

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

Ugh. That sucks but unfortunately this happens to folks all the time. How bad is the bore?

Post-a-holic

User Info Menu

Any modern gun storage oil (not multi oil with a cleaner in it) followed by a patch with gun grease (ie CVA breech plug grease) , then cleaning patch before shooting. I find with the storage oil alone I can still get some light rust on my cleaning patches but I shoot each gun about twice a year so they sit for a while.
    National Association for Search and Rescue

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

After reading your post I pulled my breech plug on my savage 10ML ii. Its clean as a whistle & looks like it did when it was new. I think the smokeless powder helps & a generous amount of gun oil before I store it away...

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Big Jack View Post
    Ugh. That sucks but unfortunately this happens to folks all the time. How bad is the bore?
    It came clean shiny clean after some bore jell and a brushing. Lots of dry patches after that. I didn't need to resort to 000 steel wool thank god. I assume the G96 will prevent the problem in the future.

Just starting out

User Info Menu

It's funny you should ask this question now. I'm new to muzzleloaders and I'm searching for all kinds of information about them. In fact, I did a search today regarding how to properly clean and store these guns. Turns out it's a very contentious subject, with some people almost getting emotional about it. I got a bit of a chuckle out of that. Just the mention of WD40 sent people in one direction, or the other. Some swear by it, and some swear at it. :-) Some have used it for decades, without any issues, and some say that they couldn't be forced into using it. Like I say, I'm new to muzzleloaders, but not to guns, and I have used it in the past without issues. Seems to me it would be a good way to clean the gun up, and then maybe apply your choice of lubricant.
    My Blogs;
    https://presentlytravelling.wordpress.com
    https://presentlywandering.wordpress.com

Apprentice

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DanO View Post
    It came clean shiny clean after some bore jell and a brushing. Lots of dry patches after that. I didn't need to resort to 000 steel wool thank god. I assume the G96 will prevent the problem in the future.
    G96 works for me just after you have your gun all clean run a well dampened patch of G96 down bore then leave the bore without running dry patch

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast