Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bizzaro world ballistics

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Snowwalker View Post
    Bring the 270 bullet weight up and the speed down, you will start to like it more. Energy in made by mass( bullet weight) X speed. Heavier bullet with less speed can give more energy because even though it may start the trip slower, it keeps more of it's energy. A light bullet leaving at a higher velocity will lose more because it is slowed quicker. If you look at the ballistics tables of each round you should see a point where the energy of both are about equal, and then the light 270 round loses the contest after that. You have to look at FT/LBS at the deer not at the muzzle.
    Energy is not mass x speed, its mass x speed squared, so its an exponential, not linear equation. That's why guys like to get the energy up by increasing speed. You can't do that with a heavy bullet due to pressure issues, but it works well with light loads.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by werner.reiche View Post
    Energy is not mass x speed, its mass x speed squared, so its an exponential, not linear equation. That's why guys like to get the energy up by increasing speed. You can't do that with a heavy bullet due to pressure issues, but it works well with light loads.

I have to stop typing when tired...

Run a couple thoughts together there. 1st thought. Increasing the 270's bullet weight from 130 to 150/160 will help. 2nd thought...The heavier 338 bullet maybe slower but has more energy and will retain more down range as the lighter 270 bullet loses velocity. Muzzle energy is not as important( because it is not transferable to animal) as retained energy at the target( what is transferable to animal)..
    Take the warning labels off. Darwin will solve the problem.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

I see people talking about improving or helping. I switched from a 270 down to a 243 for my blind hunting, but always try for a head shot just to save meat. If all my shots were body shots I would confine myself to 44 mag....There is a reason so many old fellas leave their 308/30-06 in camp and carry a 30-30.
    Last edited by patvetzal; December 1st, 2016 at 11:20 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12