Thread: Loading jag?

Loyal Member

User Info Menu

Default Loading jag?

My T/C Encore Pro Hunter came with the stock ramrod and a cleaning jag. I have read/heard that people also use a loading jag. Is this an optional process? Otherwise it seems odd that it wasn't included with my muzzleloader. When sighting in the muzzeloader yesterday I used a longer range rod my friend had with him to load rounds.

It almost seems currently that I would need to use the cleaning jag to add additional length to the ramrod in order to fully seat the bullet.

Does is really make any difference which end of the ramrod is used?
    Last edited by buckchaser; December 4th, 2016 at 06:03 PM.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Member for Life

User Info Menu

I bought one of these for my Ram Rod....works great, for the reasons listed;

It's not mentioned, but the head on this jag rotates so that when the sabot/bullet engages in the grooves the jag allows the bullet to 'twist' as it goes down the barrel.

I decided that we needed to offer an "improved U.S. Made" version of this jag. I sent a drawing off to Warren Muzzleloading down in Arkansas and asked them to make me a sample for .45 and .50 caliber. I increased the length of the knurled portion by .150"and increased the diameter by .010"to better hold the patch. We then had the brass threads replaced with two steel threaded nipples; one to attach the Super Jag to your ramrod and the second to remove the jag head from the extension in the event that your preference is to keep the jag attached to your ramrod at all times The final touch was having the jag head milled out to also act as a bullet pusher for all our bullets. The result is an indestructible brass ramrod extension, bullet pusher, cleaning jag; Super Jag 2.

Now available in .45 and .50 calibers for $ 8.95.

https://www.prbullet.com/sj.htm

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

I have one of the Pr Bullet Super Jags (Super Rats as described on the accessory page) as listed by MikePal, and also have one of these Spinjags:
    http://spinjag.com/

I like the Spinjag over the Super Jag for 2 reasons. The first is that there is a nylon washer just before the rod attachment point. This helps center the jag and keeps it from contact with the bore (see reason #4 on web page). The second is that the Super Jags larger diameter makes it almost impossible to use it as a cleaning jag (at least with my gun). When a patch is applied over it, it is a struggle to start down the bore. The Spinjag, on the other hand, accommodates a patch quite nicely. I use the Super Jag on my bullet starter, and the Spin jag on my ram rod.

IMG_20161204_191053.jpg
    "Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." Ernest Benn

Leads by example

User Info Menu

I just load straight from the Encore ramrod, but I added the T-handle for a little more length.