Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: temporary import muzzleloader to US

Apprentice

User Info Menu

Default temporary import muzzleloader to US

I am planning to go to Pennsylvania for a Muzzleloader hunt. I have hunted in the US before and applied and received the ATF import permit. But it seems that this is not required for muzzleloaders if I am reading the rules correct that muzzleloaders are exempt. I will be using a flintlock.

Question: Does anyone have experience with crossing the border with a muzzleloader. Any issues bring Black Powder?? Thanks.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Member for Life

User Info Menu

You are correct, muzzleloaders are not firearms for the purposes of import or possession in the States.
    Friends hunt in Ohio and have no issues bringing powder or MLs into the country. Just be sure you tell them at the border...

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

I just went to Michigan for the ML hunt and back to Ontario. Zero issues bringing my ML and powder back and forth. Just be sure to declare it. I got the green declaration of goods card from Canada customs on the way over just to be safe...

Member for Life

User Info Menu

I bought my first ML over the counter at a True Value hardware store in Potsdam NY. No FBI check, no questions asked. Put it into the cart and walked thru the cash.

Back then the only issue I had was that I had to leave it with CBSA till the paper work was faxed and the gun was registered with the RCMP (took a day).

Nowadays you just grease their palms with some HST and your on your way.
    Last edited by MikePal; December 11th, 2016 at 06:36 AM.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Air rifles and Archery gear is the same way.. declare it. You may get a few questions.

"Why would you carry your bow in your transport truck?"

Answer " My wife takes Archery lessons every week and if I don't keep practicing she's going to get better then me."

Guard laughs and waves me through.
    Take the warning labels off. Darwin will solve the problem.

Apprentice

User Info Menu

Hi Mike.
    So i can go to the States purchase a muzzle loader drive back declare it pay HST and no problem ?

Quote Originally Posted by MikePal View Post
    I bought my first ML over the counter at a True Value hardware store in Potsdam NY. No FBI check, no questions asked. Put it into the cart and walked thru the cash.

Back then the only issue I had was that I had to leave it with CBSA till the paper work was faxed and the gun was registered with the RCMP (took a day).

Nowadays you just grease their palms with some HST and your on your way.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gunter View Post
    Hi Mike.
    So i can go to the States purchase a muzzle loader drive back declare it pay HST and no problem ?
    If I may, yes you can. You will need to produce your firearms licence on our side when you declare it. There are some great deals to be had at this time of the year. Sorry Mike...thought I'd save you the trouble ....

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Thanks Rick...I was going to give it a 'yes' with a caveat that since 9/11 there may be more of an issue but I really don't know if that is the case.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MikePal View Post
    Thanks Rick...I was going to give it a 'yes' with a caveat that since 9/11 there may be more of an issue but I really don't know if that is the case.
    No, things haven't changed much. Just don't get caught with ammo or gun parts over there. It can get very interesting in a hurry, not to mention expensive !!

Just starting out

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rick_iles View Post
    If I may, yes you can. You will need to produce your firearms licence on our side when you declare it. There are some great deals to be had at this time of the year. Sorry Mike...thought I'd save you the trouble ....
    You don't need a firearms license if it's a flintlock.
    My Blogs;
    https://presentlytravelling.wordpress.com
    https://presentlywandering.wordpress.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast