Thread: Healthy Doe with Yearlings

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Default Healthy Doe with Yearlings

I was out tonight during the bow/muzzleloader hunt behind the house. I do not have a smoke pole so I was going to be hunting with my crossbow wearing full orange, felt really weird.

About 15 min before last light a truck on the side road (40 yards away) starts slowing down, I know they must be slowing for a reason. I look to my right and there is a head bob, a deer, starting to walk my way. I only have an antlered tag and I know of a spike and a larger buck in the area, I prepare for the best, no dice, a big doe. Since I cannot shoot it I sit back and watch, I want to see what her reaction is to this pumpkin in the snow. The doe sees me but cannot make out what I am, I am sitting really low in a turkey chair. She looks and stomps, looks and stomps, looks away then right back at me, she does not know what I am. A minute or two later I hear some snapping and another deer is on the way, smaller then the first, maybe the spike I think, nope, a yearling, about 3/4 the size of mom, very healthy and has a very thick fur coat. Another minute and another one pops out, twins. I watched them for about 15 min, there was snow behind them and a full moon, very cool to be able to watch them. I needed to head home but I did not want to scare them, my friend was hunting at the other end of the farm and shot took a shot to empty his gun, that made them trot off just a bit, I was able to get my cell phone out and get a poor quality picture before then headed back across the road.

I know the excitement of shooting a deer with a bow but having them mill around you is almost more exciting. The big doe was 14 yards away at her closest, very cool and in full orange and sitting in the relative open as well.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Sounds like a cool experience for sure
    "Everything is easy when you know how"
    "Meat is not grown in stores"

Apprentice

User Info Menu

Awe...good for you, Fox. I'm happy that you had such a wonderful experience
    My attitude towards you depends upon how you have treated me.

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    I was out tonight during the bow/muzzleloader hunt behind the house. I do not have a smoke pole so I was going to be hunting with my crossbow wearing full orange, felt really weird.

About 15 min before last light a truck on the side road (40 yards away) starts slowing down, I know they must be slowing for a reason. I look to my right and there is a head bob, a deer, starting to walk my way. I only have an antlered tag and I know of a spike and a larger buck in the area, I prepare for the best, no dice, a big doe. Since I cannot shoot it I sit back and watch, I want to see what her reaction is to this pumpkin in the snow. The doe sees me but cannot make out what I am, I am sitting really low in a turkey chair. She looks and stomps, looks and stomps, looks away then right back at me, she does not know what I am. A minute or two later I hear some snapping and another deer is on the way, smaller then the first, maybe the spike I think, nope, a yearling, about 3/4 the size of mom, very healthy and has a very thick fur coat. Another minute and another one pops out, twins. I watched them for about 15 min, there was snow behind them and a full moon, very cool to be able to watch them. I needed to head home but I did not want to scare them, my friend was hunting at the other end of the farm and shot took a shot to empty his gun, that made them trot off just a bit, I was able to get my cell phone out and get a poor quality picture before then headed back across the road.

I know the excitement of shooting a deer with a bow but having them mill around you is almost more exciting. The big doe was 14 yards away at her closest, very cool and in full orange and sitting in the relative open as well.
    THANKS for write up......I have passed up 6 times on doe and fawn.......had them 5 yards under tree stand
    It isn,t how you do it,its how you did it

Member for Life

User Info Menu

That reminds me of a couple years ago - its archery season and I'm sitting in a tree stand - buck and doe are legal - I see this doe and two yearlings coming towards me - the doe is a nice big one from the corn and soybeans it's been feeding on - they are about 10 yards away and I put the scope of the crossbow on the doe - just about ready to shoot when one of the yearlings comes over to the doe they start licking each other around their heads - I didn't shoot - made some excuse that I may see this doe sometime in the future when the yearlings are a little older - in reality I guess I'm was getting soft in my old age -
    '

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JoePa View Post
    That reminds me of a couple years ago - its archery season and I'm sitting in a tree stand - buck and doe are legal - I see this doe and two yearlings coming towards me - the doe is a nice big one from the corn and soybeans it's been feeding on - they are about 10 yards away and I put the scope of the crossbow on the doe - just about ready to shoot when one of the yearlings comes over to the doe they start licking each other around their heads - I didn't shoot - made some excuse that I may see this doe sometime in the future when the yearlings are a little older - in reality I guess I'm was getting soft in my old age -
    '
    If I had an antlerless tag I would not have had a problem taking that doe now, in early Oct I would have passed but a couple months older I would be ok shooting the doe, those yearlings were not fawns anymore, if that makes any sense, they had to have been early drop of the year for the size of them, they will have no problem with our winter here.

I hope to see the bucks though, even though my dad is coming back up for the tail end of the season and he was lucky enough to get an antlerless tag for our area, we can party hunt up here, so if both hunting together we can shoot on any tag.