Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789

Thread: Utility Trailer Question

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by werner.reiche View Post
    Thanks Snowwalker - I didn't realise that. I thought 4500kg was just the trailer....
    Last5 and I play on opposite teams in the same game. I just have to remember the rules for all 48 lower states, 10 provinces and three territories. He only has to remember one rule book. Most things are the same, but some places have a few curve balls to throw at you. Example in California the center of my trailer axles can not be farther back then 40 feet from my king pin on a 53 foot trailer. But on a 48 foot trailer the distance can be 43 feet if my kingpin is less the 2 feet from the nose of my trailer. If I set the center of my trailer axles at the 40 foot mark on a 48 foot trailer i can be charged with having too much distance between the rear bumper and my trailer axles if the distance is more the 5 feet. This rule does not apply to a 53 foot trailer and a full 10 feet between the rear bumper and trailer axles is ok.
    Take the warning labels off. Darwin will solve the problem.

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by last5oh_302 View Post
    You're probably mixing up when you need a class A license. Just the weight of the trailer is used for that and anything over 4600 is the magic number.
    Yet I have seen people pulling quad axle boat and car( race cars ) trailers with an SUV, where I am sure the driver had nothing more then a G.

Maybe I am just touchy about it because I have seen the aftermath or witness the crashes as they happened.
    Last edited by Snowwalker; February 8th, 2017 at 12:28 AM.

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Snowwalker View Post
    Yet I have seen people pulling quad axle boat and car( race cars ) trailers with an SUV, where I am sure the driver had nothing more then a G.

Maybe I am just touchy about it because I have seen the aftermath or witness the crashes as they happened.
    I've seen a few of those in my time as well. Lots of G licences when they needed an A and lots G' when they need a D. It's not uncommon in the least.
    Not the kind of stuff you find with single axle utility trailer however.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

I've seen a few of those in my time as well. Lots of G licences when they needed an A and lots G' when they need a D. It's not uncommon in the least.
    Not the kind of stuff you find with single axle utility trailer however.
    No it is not a problem with the single axle trailers. But just a question.. When you see that three or four axle( dual axle being up to 7000 lbs/3181KGs) trailer towed behind that SUV or Motorhome, what can you as MTO or OPP enforcement Officers really do about it?
    I am sure that after a crash there would be a few charges you can lay but what about before.

Needs a new keyboard

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Snowwalker View Post
    No it is not a problem with the single axle trailers. But just a question.. When you see that three or four axle( dual axle being up to 7000 lbs/3181KGs) trailer towed behind that SUV or Motorhome, what can you as MTO or OPP enforcement Officers really do about it?
    I am sure that after a crash there would be a few charges you can lay but what about before.
    For one they're exempt from safeties and they're not CMV's, but they can still be stopped for an inspection. For example, if one of these trailers appears to be in class A license territory they can be stopped, weighed up, and licenses checked. Very few fall into the class A license territory though but you're right in that few of them are ever checked. Again MTO's policy is to concentrate on CVOR vehicles and few OPP or regional coppers check this stuff.
    Rick

Member for Life

User Info Menu

For one they're exempt from safeties and they're not CMV's, but they can still be stopped for an inspection. For example, if one of these trailers appears to be in class A license territory they can be stopped, weighed up, and licenses checked. Very few fall into the class A license territory though but you're right in that few of them are ever checked. Again MTO's policy is to concentrate on CVOR vehicles and few OPP or regional coppers check this stuff.
    That is too bad you don't check them...
    Tri-axle boat trails come in four ratings
    10,000lbs( 4545Kg)
    12,500lbs( 5681Kg)
    15,000lbs(6818Kg)
    18,000lbs(8181Kg)

And they can be pulled by an F250 or 2600 level truck.
    They all need the yellow sticker, but how many of the people driving have a license higher then a G?

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789