Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Utility Trailer Question

Has too much time on their hands

User Info Menu

From the MTO:

Annual and semi-annual inspections

An annual inspection is valid for 12 months.
    Trucks, trailers and converter dollies, alone or in combination, with a total gross weight, registered gross weight or manufacturer's gross vehicle weight rating of more than 4,500 kg require an annual inspection.

• Total gross weight: the weight transmitted to the highway by the truck and/or trailer - includes the driver, passenger, fuel, equipment, tools, cargo, etc. carried by the truck and/or trailer
    • Registered gross weight (RGW): the maximum weight based on the fees paid for the truck licence plates - indicated in kilograms on the right (plate) portion of a truck's ownership next to "REG. GROSS WT." (trailers and converter dollies do not have a RGW)
    • Manufacturer's gross vehicle weight rating (MGVWR): the maximum weight a truck is safely capable of weighing as declared by the manufacturer - indicated on the vehicle's vehicle identification number (VIN) plate

http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/tru...irements.shtml

No mention of number of axles.
    Last edited by Species8472; December 27th, 2016 at 12:44 PM.
    They say a man turns old when sorrow and regret take the place of hope and dreams

2. # ADS
    Advertisement
    ADVERTISEMENT

Member for Life

User Info Menu

So 3 ATV's @ 750 pounds = 2250
    Gear = 500
    trailer = 800 (??)

total = 3550 pounds

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by greatwhite View Post
    Gear = 500
    trailer = 800 (??)

total = 3550 pounds
    I wouldn't count on building a steel tandem axle trailer with a tare weight of 800 lbs? Especially one the size you mentioned? The axles, hubs and wheels alone will probably be 400 lbs themselves? I'm pretty sure there are charts online that will give you the weight of various steel pieces? Get your calculator out and run some guesstimates based on the design you have in mind. Good luck!

Post-a-holic

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by greatwhite View Post
    Gear = 500
    trailer = 800 (??)

total = 3550 pounds
    plus the weight of the tow vehicle with occupants and equipment and fuel. It all adds up to the GVW and if it's over 4500kg then both trailer and vehicle need annual safety and on top of that the trailer needs brakes once it reaches a certain weight.

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gooseman View Post
    plus the weight of the tow vehicle with occupants and equipment and fuel. It all adds up to the GVW and if it's over 4500kg then both trailer and vehicle need annual safety and on top of that the trailer needs brakes once it reaches a certain weight.
    I believe that is gross weight of 3000lbs., brakes are required...

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Crap that isn't good. Maybe we can lighten the weight of the trailer by building it out of Aluminum. I will have to talk to my buddy about this.

Quote Originally Posted by gooseman View Post

Post-a-holic

User Info Menu

I think you will find it hard to get a trailer big enough to hold 3 quads and be under the 4500kg GVW. Also you have to look at what your ownership of your vehicle states as GVW. You can have it raised up to 4499GVW but it will cost more for your sticker on the plate. We had this discussion at work a few yrs ago and a lot of 1/2 ton pickups were rated at 3200GVW which ment a lot were over weight with a snowmobile trailer behind them registered from the factory. Like I stated you can change the GVW but it costs to do this, over 4500 and annual checks need to be done

Member for Life

User Info Menu

GW..saw this ad on FB, thought of you in that this is what you need to carry 4500 lbs....nice trailer, but a bit costly...

2006 6x10 dump trailer for sale, everything works, surge brakes work but will need a new master cylinder as it leaks.Lights all work fine, has barn style doors at back. Hydraulic and electric dump all work fine. All new heavier leaf springs, new brakes, spare tire on rim, bearings all repacked last August. Axles are 3500lbs each and will carry 4500lbs. Good battery. its had over 2000 alone in work done on it since fall, all new heavier than stock leafs and brakes and brake lines, master leaks but new ones are cheap all wiring is good and its safetied as of Sept 19th 2016 which is still good. All the work was done at http://trailercountry.ca/ has a master cylinder for it at 75.00. When its hooked to your trailer wires it charges the battery that runs the dump. Carries 2.5 tons or 2 cord of green wood 3 if the wood is really dry. It has a good tarp as well. I only used it to move around wood. Deck and sides are clean.$3500 Firm.

Just starting out

User Info Menu

I ran into the same question when I bought my trailer. It's a 7x21 enclosed trailer. It already had a sticker on it so I thought I had to renew it. The guy I bought it off of had it under his business so he had to put CVOR sticker on it and get it inspected. So I called the MTO and that was the worst thing I've ever experienced. So I called my uncle who is a cop and he informed me that as long as it is being used for recreational use then I don't need a CVOR.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Member for Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ktrick19 View Post
    I ran into the same question when I bought my trailer. It's a 7x21 enclosed trailer. It already had a sticker on it so I thought I had to renew it. The guy I bought it off of had it under his business so he had to put CVOR sticker on it and get it inspected. So I called the MTO and that was the worst thing I've ever experienced. So I called my uncle who is a cop and he informed me that as long as it is being used for recreational use then I don't need a CVOR.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
    Welcome to the forum !! CVOR is a different issue.